Last updated: June 12, 2020 at 11:00am (Central)
As all Canadians implement measures to curb the transmission of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we empathize with companies having to reassess their operations for business continuity purposes and how that could impact recruitment programs. Our team is committed to supporting your efforts to maintain and boost your employment requirements, ensuring that the Asper School of Business students you have hired for Summer 2020 are responsive to your organization's changing needs.
For all Asper employers, this means:
- Flexible start dates and working arrangements (e.g. telecommuting, rotating shifts) are encouraged where feasible.
- In your discussions with students, we would appreciate your support not only by enabling them to feel safe at work during this period, but also understanding there may be health circumstances that require students to remain at home. We have encouraged our students to proactively work through solutions in collaboration with their managers (please refer to our Coronavirus FAQ for students).
- Enhanced access to employer grants and funding to help subsidize your student recruitment.
- Additional support for your communications efforts and onboarding programs, including virtual orientation.
- New opportunities to launch campus recruitment through innovative forms of Work Integrated Learning. Contact our team to explore your options.
Asper Career Development Centre
What do I need to know about the Fall 2020 Co-op Work Term recruitment process?
Co-op students are available to work this Fall, however, due to the impacts of COVID-19, our structured recruitment process that includes on-campus interviews and a rank/match process with structured timelines unfortunately won’t be feasible. We have temporarily implemented a “continuous placement model” which will better support both the needs of our valued employer partners and co-op students during these unprecedented times. Check out the Co-op Recruitment page for details on these changes.
We are here to help accelerate your company's stabilization efforts as we navigate through this challenging period together. Please refer to our FAQ for Asper employers below including links to additional resources.
What financial incentives are available to maintain and/or increase my student recruitment for Summer 2020?
There are many funding opportunities, including programs specifically related to COVID-19, currently available to Canadian employers of all sizes:
- The Temporary Wage Subsidy — A three-month measure that allows eligible employers to reduce the amount of payroll deductions required to be remitted to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). On March 27, the Government of Canada announced a 75% wage subsidy to help eligible employers maintain payroll. Full details are expected to be released early April.
- Manitoba Summer Student Recovery Plan - a wage subsidy program to support employers from the private and non-profit sectors to hire high school and post secondary students this summer. Employers are eligible to receive a $7 per hour wage subsidy, up to $5,000 per student, for a maximum of 5 students. The program is available for student employment between May 1 and September 4, 2020. For further information, including eligibility criteria, employer obligations and how to apply please click here.
- The Non-profit Summer Student Incentive Program Manitoba charities and non-profit organizations are now eligible for $6000 in financial aid if they hire at least one student under the province's wage subsidy program. They will receive $3,000 upon confirmation of the student's hiring. The remaining $3,000 will be paid out at the end of the summer. Non-profits and charities just have to show evidence of a summer student being hired and payment will be processed very soon thereafter. Applications for the program will open online beginning on June 16.
- The Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) — Provides employers with wage subsidies of up to $7,000 per Canadian student they hire.
- The Co-op Students Hiring Incentive (COS-HI) - Employers who hire a co-op student can claim 15% of wages and salaries, up to a maximum of $5,000 per student.
- Work-Sharing Agreements — The Government of Canada has introduced temporary special measures that extend the maximum duration from 38 weeks to 76 weeks.
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan — A host of supports for individuals facing hardship as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic.
What virtual/online recruitment options does Asper offer employers?
Our team is here to help you fulfill your Summer 2020 hiring by leveraging virtual/online tactics that will connect you with the best candidates.
- To post a co-op/summer/full time position or to schedule interviews, simply email the job description to firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will respond as soon as possible. Please indicate within the job description if the successful candidate will be expected to work from home (i.e. telecommute), or an alternative arrangement, during the COVID-19 response period.
- Interviews, co-op site visits, and meetings can continue in compliance with your company’s policies and scheduling needs. While the University of Manitoba has decided to postpone all in-person events until at least May 31, 2020, we have full virtual capability to offer expanded client services for on-campus recruitment, including:
- Online video interviews via Skype, Zoom, or other platforms.
- Virtual info sessions for up to 100 participants anywhere in the world.
- Virtual workshops and career panels.
- Ten Thousand Coffees, to connect for coffee chats online with students seeking mentorship and coaching in your professional field.
Is my workplace considered essential during the COVID-19 response period?
Please refer to the Government of Manitoba’s List of Essential Workplaces.
Tip Sheets and Additional Resources for Employers:
Tips for Onboarding Students Remotely (CEWIL Canada)
Tips for Supervising Students Remotely (CEWIL Canada)
Tips for Working at Home (CEWIL Canada)
Getting Your Workplace Ready for COVID-19 (World Health Organization)
Please contact us today for a Summer 2020 recruitment plan that is customized to your firm's changing needs:
Asper Career Development Centre