Benefits of Studying in Manitoba

Health Coverage for International Students

Today, there are over 5,500 international students in Manitoba’s schools, colleges, universities, and language schools.

These students, or their parents, once had to buy private health insurance when they came to study in Manitoba. But now, international students are eligible for the same health insurance coverage as all Manitoba residents.

What medical services are insured by Manitoba Health?

Manitoba Health directly pays physicians’ services that are medically required for you or your dependents. If you are a Manitoba resident, and are physically present in the province for 183 days, you are eligible for insured medical services. Benefits include the following services:

  • Patients who are billed for insured services by physicians who practice outside the plan are entitled to reimbursement from Manitoba Health
  • Physicians’ services
  • Surgery/anesthesia
  • X-ray and laboratory services in approved facilities when ordered by a physician

What other practitioners’ services?

  • Optometrists: If you are under 19 years of age or 65 and over you may receive one complete routine eye exam every two years. Exams for all ages will be covered if deemed medically necessary by your physician or optometrist.
  • Chiropractors: Manitoba Health will insure a maximum of 12 visits per Manitoba resident per calendar year. The adjustment of the spinal column, pelvis and extremities are insured chiropractic services.
  • Dental surgeons
  • Manitoba health will insure certain dental procedures when hospitalization is required.

Which hospital services are insured?

  • Accommodation and meals at the standard level
  • Necessary nursing services
  • Laboratory, x-ray and diagnostic procedures
  • Medications administered in a hospital
  • Use of the operating room, care room and anesthetic facilities
  • Routine surgical supplies
  • Occupational, speech and physiotherapy
  • Dietetic counseling

For more information:

Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program 

International students currently working in Manitoba can apply for the MPNP if they meet the following requirements:

  • You have graduated from an education or training program that was at least one year long
  • You have been working in Manitoba for at least six months, with a valid post-graduate work permit
  • You have a formal offer of a long-term, full-time job from a Manitoba employer

For more information:

International Graduate Student Entrance Scholarship

International students with an admission GPA of 3.5 and above who are entering the MFin program will be eligible for this $5,400 scholarship. The Faculty of Graduate Studies will calculate your GPA during the admission process to determine your eligibility. Candidates who qualify are automatically offered the scholarship, so there is no need to apply for it.

For more information, click here.