- City of Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Services
- Criti Care
- Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority
- Manitoba Emergency Services College
- Southern Health/Santé Sud
- Prarie Mountain Health
- Red River College Primary Care Paramedic
The goal of the General Fitness Assessment is to provide a simple, safe, and standardized approach to assessing the major components of fitness in apparently healthy individuals and to interpret these assessments based on norms and percentiles for Canadians 15 to 69 years of age. The assessment is a strenuous fitness test that measures your capacity to perform essential physical tasks encountered in the field.
The job-related portion simulates a scenario where a Paramedic must carry equipment, perform CPR compressions, and carry and transfer a patient.
Both the General Fitness Assessment and the Job Related tests are completed simultaneously, with no time limit. All tests are either PASS or NEED IMPROVEMENT/FAIL.
- Assessments are typically done as part of the application process for all paramedic applicants. Individuals must be involved in an application process for their specific department to be tested
- Paramedic programs may have specific requirements for registering for testing. Contact the department for specific details. If they do not have specific information, the following information applies
- Assessments must be booked a minimum one week prior to the test
- Testing occurs in the Active Living Centre and Max Bell Centre, University of Manitoba.
- Access to locker rooms and testing facilities will be granted to scheduled applicants by the Customer Service Representatives
- Arrive approximately 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment in your appropriate attire
- Daily Use lockers and shower facilities are available. Personal locks are recommended, or combination locks are available for rent at the Customer Service Desk
- $124.00 (plus GST) (non-refundable) Payable when you register.
- The $124.00 fee is good for one test only
- No refunds for now shows
- Candidates must give 4 working days (Mon. to Fri.) notice to have test date changed
- Candidates are required to have completed a physician's release formo together with payment at the time of the registration
- NO phone registrations, candidates may register by mail, fax or in person only
- Please make cheques payable to the University of Manitoba
- We accept, visa, master card, interact, cheque or cash
- All scheduled appointments are subject to cancellations by the University of Manitoba, Recreation Services
Expect to be at the University for 2 hours on the day of your test. Parking is free after 4:30 pm and on weekends, except where designated as “24 hour reserved”. We suggest parking in U lot, where ticket parking (before 4:30 pm) is $3.00 for 2 hours, or in the University parkade.
- Register for the physical fitness assessment after the Paramedic Physical Fitness Assessment registration form and Par-Q have been completed. Registration takes place at the Active Living Centre, University of Manitoba.
- Download and read the information package carefully
- Follow the preparation instructions
- On your test day please bring
- Picture identification, such as a drivers' license
- T-shirts with short sleeves
- Running shoes
- Lock (for a locker), day locks are available if necessary
Before the test administrator can proceed with the assessment, your resting heart rate and blood pressure will be taken. This is to ensure that your heart rate is not equal to or above 100 beats per minute and your blood pressure is not equal to or above 150/100 mm Hg. These national standards have been set as a safety precaution. If you are equal to or above these levels, you will be asked to see your physician again to get additional permission to proceed with the test.