U of M Student Membership FAQ

1) I am a U of M Student and want to access the recreation facilities. How can I do that?

To access the campus sport and recreation facilities you will first need to fill out a waiver and submit it to a customer service representative at the Active Living Centre or Joe Doupe Recreation Centre. Please arrive with your U of M student ID. Once the waiver has been submitted you will be able to gain access using your U of M Student card.

The U of M’s Sport and Recreation Fee provides students the opportunity to use the sport and recreation facilities and attend all regular season University of Manitoba Bison home games. The Sport and Recreation Fee will be assessed to all University of Manitoba students, excluding those with existing agreements precluding the payment of service fees to the U of M.  Students can access these services for the term in which the fee is assessed:

  • September to December for students assessed the fee in the Fall Term
  • January to April for Winter Term
  • May to August for Summer Term

For current Sport and Recreation Fee rates and information please visit the Registrar’s Office website the U of M.

2) I have not been assessed the fee but am a U of M Student.  Can I still purchase a membership?

If you have not been assessed the fee on your fee statement, you can purchase a discount U of M Student membership through Recreation Services.

3) Why am I being assessed this fee?

The U of M recognizes the positive impacts of active living on student success, and it is the mission of Recreation Services to promote and create a culture of active living at the U of M.  With the goal of creating a more vibrant, healthy and active campus, the U of M is catching up to a practice already happening at many other universities – including the University of Winnipeg and Brandon University, who have had a similar fee in place for a number of years.  In addition to providing all students with access to the U of M sport and recreation facilities and all regular season Bison home games, the U of M recently completed construction of a new 100,000 sq. ft. Active Living Centre; this fee represents a contribution by students to the improvement of university infrastructure for generations to come.

4) When was this fee approved and who approved it?

The Sport and Recreation Fee was approved in 2011 by the University of Manitoba’s Board of Governors, after consultation with and endorsement from the University of Manitoba Students’ Union and the Graduate Student’s Association.

5) How do I gain access the sport and recreation facilities and services included with the fee?

Visit one of our customer service desks with your student card and complete a waiver. The waiver is available in person or online here. You can print off the waiver and bring a completed copy with you to speed up the process. Once the waiver is complete you will be able to gain access to the sport and recreation facilities using your student card. Customer Service desk locations are as follows:

  • Room 154 Active Living Centre (Fort Garry campus)
  • Joe Doupe Centre, Room 030 Brodie Centre (Bannatyne campus)

Returning Students: If you are a returning student and you've had a membership in the past (effective after September 2015), we will activate your pass for you. Simply show up and swipe in!

6) What is included with my U of M Recreation Services Student Membership?

Membership with Recreation Services includes access to the following spaces and amenities:

Active Living Centre (Fort Garry Campus)

  • Cardio and resistance training areas
  • 200-meter elevated running track
  • On-site certified Fitness Attendants
  • Rental sports equipment

Frank Kennedy and Max Bell Centres (Fort Garry Campus)

  • Six-lane saltwater swimming pool and diving area
  • Three multi-use gymnasiums
  • Four squash and five racquetball courts
  • Three indoor and four outdoor tennis courts
  • Two indoor tracks
  • Ice rink
  • Table tennis
  • Circuit Training Studio
  • On-site certified Fitness Attendants
  • Locker room and shower facilities
  • Rental sports equipment
  • Dry sauna

Joe Doupe Centre (Bannatyne Campus)

  • Fitness centre
  • Multi-use gymnasium
  • Indoor track
  • Locker room and shower facilities
  • Rental sports equipment

*Bison Sports

  • The Sport and Recreation fee also gives U of M students access to all regular season Bison home games.

For more info on what's include in your membership please see the Membership Features page.

7) Where is Recreation Services?

Recreation Services facilities include the Active Living Centre, Frank Kennedy Centre and Max Bell Centre on the Fort Garry campus and the Joe Doupe Centre on the Bannatyne campus. Recreation Services also operates two outdoor turf fields and 4 outdoor tennis courts located to the West of the Winnipeg Soccer Complex at the Fort Garry Campus.

8) What if I don’t have my student card yet?

Your student card is required to activate your membership. Visit the Registrar’s Office website for more information on obtaining your student card.

9) What if I lose or forget my card?

If you are an active member you will be granted up to 3 visits per term without your student card. Please visit the customer service desk to gain entrance to the facility.

10) What are Recreation Services hours of operation?

Please visit our Hours of Operation page for the most current info.

11) Can I bring a friend to the gym who is not a student?

Day passes can be purchased at a reduced rate at the customer service desk. Visit the Recreation Services Informal Recreation page for information on pricing. Recreation Services offers Buddy Day on the 15th of every month. If you have a valid membership, you can bring a friend to use the facilities for free (Photo ID required).

12) Where can I park?

Fort Garry Campus:
Parking after 4:30pm, on weekends and holidays is free except where otherwise posted. Meters accept coin and Pay and Display lots and the University Parkade accept both coin and credit cards. “SD Lot” and “SD Lot West” offers full day parking for a flat rate.

Bannatyne Campus:
Pay parking is available in “H” Lot on McDermot Ave, by Tecumseh Street.

*For parking maps and rates please visit the Parking Services website

13) What buses take me to the Recreation Services facilities?

Winnipeg Transit Information

Fort Garry Campus:

  • Buses 36, 51, 60, 75, 76 , 78, 161, 162, 185  stop outside Frank Kennedy Centre & travel to and from the University.

Bannatyne Campus:

  • Buses 12 & 33 stop on William Avenue
  • Bus 29 stops on Sherbrooke Street by the Health Sciences Centre
  • Shuttle #38 operates between both campus locations

Visit http://winnipegtransit.com/en/navigo for more information.

14) Can I purchase a locker?

Lockers are available on a per term basis. Please visit our Locker Rentals & Towel Service page for rates.

15) How do I find out when the gyms, ice rink, pool, etc. are available?

Recreation Services offers over 800 hours per week of open gym, court, ice rink and pool time for informal drop-in recreation during the academic terms (September to April). Pick-up basketball, squash, racquetball, tennis, badminton, lane swimming and ice hockey are just some of the sports you can try during a time that fits your schedule. For your convenience our informal recreation schedules are available on the Recreation Services Mobile App.

16) Are the Recreation Services facilities accessible?

The LEED certified Active Living Centre is 100% accessible; the facility meets or exceeds the standards for accessible design as per guidelines set forth in the 2010 City of Winnipeg Accessibility Design Standards.

Additionally the Joyce Fromson pool has a lift for individuals requiring assistance to enter and exit the pool. The Frank Kennedy Centre change rooms have also been re-designed making them more accessibility to a wide range of users. For more information on the accessibility in our facilities please call 204.474.6100.

17) How do I find out where everything is within the facility?

Stop by the Customer Service Desk and our staff would be more than happy to show you around.

18) Can my spouse or dependent purchase a membership?

As a member, your spouse and/or dependent (age 6 to 14) qualify for a reduced rate for membership. A spousal or dependent pass can be purchased at any time during the active term of your membership. Please visit one of our customer service desks for more information.

19) Where can I rent equipment?

Equipment can be rented at the customer service desk. Student ID is required. Some equipment rentals are subject to additional fees.

20) Do you offer Women, Non-Binary and Trans Only Gym time?

Yes. We offer women, non-binary and trans only times in our circuit training studio located on the third floor of the Frank Kennedy Centre as well as women only swim twice a week in the Joyce Fromson pool.