The sole instructor was Henry Ernest Bletcher, who served until retirement in 1939. The College became affiliated with the University of Manitoba in 1902, and offered the degree of Bachelor of Pharmacy in 1905, although only one person ever took that degree, all others at that time being Diploma graduates.
Officers of the Association persuaded the University to assume responsibility for pharmaceutical education in 1914, when the Department of Pharmacy, University of Manitoba was created, still using the original College building.
The Department became The Department of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry in 1929, the School of Pharmacy in 1951, and the Faculty of Pharmacy in 1970. The university moved the teaching premises from the original College site on Notre Dame Avenue to Broadway Avenue (about 1922), then to the Fort Garry campus in 1949 (an army H-hut until 1962, then the present building).
Construction of a new building commenced July 2006, adjacent to the buildings of the Faculty of Medicine and the Health Sciences Centre in downtown Winnipeg, thus returning pharmaceutical education full circle, at least geographically speaking.
In step with changing times and educational needs, the University of Manitoba has offered a 2-year Diploma until 1941, a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy (1920), a more formal 3-year B.Sc. (Pharmacy) degree in 1941, a 4-year B.Sc. (Pharmacy) degree in 1958, and finally the 5-year B.Sc.(Pharmacy) degree in 1992.
Until 1958, graduates with the above qualifications were also required to participate in clerkship or apprenticeship programs varying in length from five years to two years, in order to be licensed as pharmacists by the Manitoba Pharmaceutical Association.
Prepared by Dr. John Steele
July 25, 2006