The core of Dr. Pathak’s research has been cancers of Head and Neck particularly those of thyroid and oral cavity. His research interests spans both clinical and translational research. He is following the oncological outcome of a population based cohort of about 2300 thyroid cancer patients of thyroid cancer over 27000 patient-years. His recent paper on the changing face of thyroid cancer (Cancer Medicine 2013) challenges the hypothesis that the recent rise in thyroid cancer is due to over diagnosis This paper shows that the increase in age standardized incidence was not restricted to smaller thyroid cancers (micro-carcinomas) as has been thought of earlier. The significant improvement in thyroid cancer specific survival in this cohort was found to be independent of changes in patient characteristics; tumor stage or treatment practices and was due to the declining proportion of anaplastic thyroid cancers. His recent publication (Endocrine Connections 2013) questions the appropriateness of age threshold of 45 years in risk stratification of thyroid cancer. Dr. Pathak is currently involved in developing a mathematical model for individualized prediction oncological outcome of thyroid cancer patients. This paper on prognostic nomogram is an important milestone in this endeavor.
1. Hombach-Klonisch S, Natarajan S, Thanasupawat T, Medapati M, Pathak KA, Ghavami S, Klonisch T.Mechanisms of Therapeutic Resistance in Cancer (Stem) Cells with Emphasis on Thyroid Cancer Cells. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2014 Mar 25;5:37. eCollection 2014. Review.|
2. Upreti D, Pathak KA, Kung SK.Lentiviral vector-based therapy in head and neck cancer (Review). Oncol Lett. 2014 Jan;7(1):3-9. Epub 2013 Nov 1.
3. Pathak KA, Mazurat A, Lambert P, Klonisch TC, Nason RW Prognostic nomograms to predict treatment outcomes of thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013;98(12):4768-75.
4. Pathak KA, Leslie WD, Klonisch TC, Nason RW 2013 The changing face of thyroid cancer in a population based cohort. Cancer Medicine 2 537–544.
5. Mazurat A, Torroni A, Hendrickson-Rebizant J, Benning H, Nason RW, Pathak KA .The age factor in survival of a population cohort of well-differentiated thyroid cancer. Endocr Connect. 2013 Sep 23;2(3):154-60
University of Manitoba
Professor - Department of Surgery
Head and Neck Surgical Oncologist
CancerCare Manitoba, Health Sciences Centre, St Boniface Hospital
Association with a Research Institute
ON2048 - 675 McDermot Avenue
Canada R3E 0V9
Phone: (204) 787-1340
Fax: (204) 787-2768
Notice to potential students
Currently accepting students