He has been supported by numerous national and local peer-reviewed grants in the areas of military mental health, indigenous suicide, and homelessness. Although his research interests are quite diverse, he is leading a large partnership grant with First Nations communities in Northwestern Manitoba to improve the understanding of suicide and suicide prevention measures (Swampy Cree Suicide Prevention Team). Dr. Sareen is also the Winnipeg Site Co-Principal Investigator for the Mental Health Commission of Canada's Research Demonstration Project in Homelessness and Mental Health (At Home / Chez Soi Study).
Dr. Sareen has published over 240 peer-reviewed publications in the areas of traumatic stress, anxiety disorders, indigenous suicide, psychiatric neuroimaging, and military mental health. Many of these publications have been in high impact journals including: JAMA, JAMA Psychiatry, and Psychological Medicine.
Dr. Sareen has received several awards for excellence in clinical research (Canadian Psychiatric Association, Canadian Institutes of Military and Veterans Health Research Forum and the Academy of Cognitive Therapy) and teaching (University of Manitoba).
An interview with the University of Manitoba's Dr. Jitender Sareen - Awardee of the sixth annual Dr. Samarthji Lal Award for mental health research.
Graham Boeckh Foundation: http://grahamboeckhfoundation.org/dr-jitender-sareen-2016/
1. Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Stein, MB, Sareen, J. N ENGL J MED 373;21 November 19, 2015, PMID:26580998
2. Smoking and Mortality - Beyond Established Causes. Sareen J, Zaborniak K, Green M. N Engl J Med. 2015 May 28;372(22):2168-70. PMID: 26017837
3. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in Adults; Impact Comorbidity, Risk Factors and Treatment. Sareen J. CanJPsychiatry 2014;59(9):460–467.
4. Suicide Prevention Strategies Important, Sareen J. Winnipeg Free Press, September 5th, 2014.
5. Common mental disorder diagnosis and need for treatment are not the same: findings from a population-based longitudinal survey. Sareen J, Henriksen CA, Stein MB, Afifi TO, Lix LM, Enns MW. Psychol Med. 2012 Dec 7:11. PMID: 23217846
6. Adverse childhood experiences in relation to mood and anxiety disorders in population-based sample of active military personnel. Sareen J, Henriksen CA, Bolton SL, Afifi TO, Stein MB, Asmundson GJ. Psychol Med. 2013 Jan:43(1):73-84. PMID: 22608015
7. The Relationship between Household Income and Mental Disorders: Findings from a Population-Based Longitudinal Study. Sareen J, Afifi TO, McMillan KA*, Asmundson GJG. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2011 68(4):419-27. PMID: 21464366
8. Anxiety Disorders and Risk for Suicide: Why Such Controversy? Sareen J. Depress Anxiety.2011 NOv:28(11):941-5. PMID: 220769699. Combat and Peacekeeping Operations in Relation to Prevalence of Mental Disorders and Perceived Need for Mental Health Care: Findings from a Large Representative Sample of Military Personnel. Sareen J, Cox BJ, Afifi TO, Stein MB, Belik SL*, Meadows G, Asmundson GJ. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007, Jul:64(7):843-52 PMID: 17606818 Download PDF: http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/64/7/843
10. Disability and poor quality of life associated with comorbid anxiety disorders and physical conditions. Sareen J, Jacobi F, Cox BJ, Belik SL, Clara I, Stein MB. Arch Intern Med. 2006 Oct 23:166(19):2109-16 PMID: 17060541.
11. Anxiety disorders and risk for suicide ideation and suicide attempts: a population-based longitudinal study for adults. Sareen J, Cox BJ, Afifi TO, de Graaf R, Asmundson GJ, ten Have M, Stein MB. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005 NOv:62(11):1249-57. PMID: 16275812 [click here to download article]
Jitender Sareen, B.Sc., M.D., FRCPC*
Professor & Head of Psychiatry
Professor Psychology & Community Health Sciences
University of Manitoba
Medical Director & Head, WRHA Adult Mental Health Program
Director of Research and Anxiety Services
Group Leader of Manitoba Population Mental Health Research Group
PZ430 PsycHealth Centre
771 Bannatyne Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3E 3N4
(Admin E-mail) email@example.com
(University Email) firstname.lastname@example.org
*denotes Medical Corporation