The overall goal of the OB/Gyn - Introduction to Clerkship period of study is to prepare students for the Clinical Clerkship. Students will build upon knowledge and abilities acquired during the Year II Reproduction course; Problem Solving sessions; and Clinical Skills/Patient Encounters.
The skill stations will provide for "hands-on" simulated practice of common/critical skills required in the clinical setting.
Station 1 - Gynecology
- View a video on the speculum exam
- Perform a speculum examination and pap smear using a model.
Station 2 - Suturing and Knot Tying
- Learn suturing techniques and use of equipment.
- Practice instrument ties, one-handed ties and two-handed ties.
- View a video of knot tying
Station 3 - Normal Obstetrics
- View a short video on examination of a pregnant woman.
- Practice vaginal examinations for assessment of cervical dilation using models.
- Learn the cardinal movements of the fetus during delivery using a model.
- Learn how to assess fetal position by palpation of the fontanelles.
See Faculty of Medicine, Intro to Clerkship Manual (page 40) for Obstretrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences Information