Dr. Duan is not currently accepting new students
Bacterial cell-cell signalling and interactions; mechanisms of pathogenesis and antibiotic resistance in bacterial pathogens; development of new antimicrobial strategies.
Courses currently taught: Oral Microbial Ecology (ORLB 7100); Cell Membrane and Cell Signaling (ORLB 7140); Carriology and Plaque Associated Diseases (ORLB 2320); Pathology and Microbiology, Part I (ORLB 2300) and Biology of Oral Tissues (HYGN 2350).
For a list of Dr. Duan's publications, please click here
1. Kong, W., L. Chen, J. Zhao, T. Shen, M.G. Surette, and K. Duan. (2013) Hybrid sensor kinase PA1611 in Pseudomonas aeruginosa regulates transitions between acute and chronic infection through direct interaction with RetS. Mol. Microbiol. 88(4):784-797
2. Yang, L., L. Chen, K. Duan (2013) Construction of a tightly controlled expression system for use in Pseudomonas. Biotech Lett. 35(11):1901-1906
3. Liang, H., J. Duan, C.D. Sibley, M. Surette, and K. Duan. (2011) Identification of mutants with altered phenazine production in Pseudomonas aeruginosa J. Med. Microbiol. 60 (1): 22-34
4. Yang, L., L. Chen, L. Shen, M. Surette, K. Duan. (2011) Inactivation of MuxABC-OpmB transporter system in Pseudomonas aeruginosa leads to increased ampicillin and carbenicillin resistance and decreased virulence. J. Microbiol. 49:107-114
5. Chen, L., Wang W., W. Sun, M. Surette, and K. Duan. (2010) Characterization of a cryptic plasmid in Pseudomonas sp. and utilization of its temperature-sensitive derivatives for genetic manipulation. Plasmid 64 (2): 110-117
6. Liang, H., L. Li, W. Kong, L. Shen, and K. Duan. (2009) Identification of a potential regulator of the quorum-sensing systems in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. FEMS Microbiol Lett. . 239: 196 – 204
7. Wei, Y., Z. Li, B. Chen, H. Liang, and K. Duan. (2009) Characterization of the orf1-tolQRA operon in Pseudomonas aeruginosa Microbiol. Immunol. 53 (6): 309-318
8. Song, J., H. Fang, and K. Duan (2009) Charactering Gene Expressions Based on Their Temporal Observations. J. Biomed. Biotechnol. doi: 10.1155/2009/357937
9. Duan, K. and C. D. Sibley, C.J. Davidson, and M. Surette, (2009) Chemical interactions between microorganisms in microbial communities Contributions to Microbiology 16:1–17