Dr. Fowke is currently considering graduate student applications (updated July 2019)
Dr. Fowke has a particular interest in training young investigators and has been involved in a number of workshops and international training programs including the International Infectious Disease and Global Health Training Program (IID&GHTP) and Canadian Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Scholarships (QES) Program. Dr. Fowke is also an active member of the Canadian HIV Cure Enterprise (CanCURE), a research collaboration focused on studying HIV persistence and developing strategies towards a functional HIV Cure.
IN THE NEWS
Selected current grants:
1. April 2019-March 2024. Nominated Principal Investigator. Other PIs - Emmanuel Ho, Joshua Kimani, Lyle McKinnon, Thomas Murooka. Co-Is Julie Lajoie, Julius Oyugi. Combination HIV Prevention: Using anti-retroviral and anti-inflammatory medications to prevent new HIV infections. Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR). Team Grant: HIV/AIDS Biomedical and Clinical Research – HIV Prevention – Focused Team. $2,000,000.
5. April 2018-March 2023. Principal Investigator. Co-investigators Joshua Kimani and Julie Lajoie. Reducing HIV target cells in the female genital tract: Determining the mechanism of inducing immune quiescence. Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR), Open Operating Project Grant. $772,650.
6. April 2018-March 2021. PI Keith Fowke; co-investigators Natalie Riediger, Andrew Hatala, Jose Lavoie, Javier Mignone. Promoting International Community-University Partnerships in Global and Indigenous Health. Universities Canada, Queen Elizabeth Scholarships, $300,000.
7. April 2017-March 2020. Nominated PI – Gary Kobinger U Laval. Co-applicant – Keith Fowke. Development of a safe, effective and clinically acceptable VSV-based HIV vaccine. CIHR-IAVI Research Partnership – Optimizing the VSV Vector towards an HIV Vaccine Program. $3.2M. The Fowke Lab receives $60,000/year from this grant.
8. April 2017-March 2022. Nominated PI – Josée Lavoie. Co-applicant – Keith Fowke. The Prairie Indigenous Knowledge Exchange Network (PIKE-Net). CIHR. Indigenous Mentorship Network Program. $1,000,000.
Selected Recent Fowke Lab Journal Articles: (Fowke Lab trainees/staff)
For an up to date link to publications from the Fowke Lab please click here
1. Lajoie J*, Tjernlund A*, Omollo K, Edfeldt G, Röhl M, Boily-Larouche G, Cheruiyot J, Kimani M, Kimani J, Oyugi J, *Broliden K and FOWKE KR*. Increased cervical CD4+CCR5+T cells among Kenyan sex working women using depot medroxyprogesterone acetate. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2019 Mar;35(3):236-246. doi: 10.1089/AID.2018.0188. Online ahead of editing Dec 26, 2018, Epub Jan 24, 2019 PMID:30585733.
4. *Lajoie J, *Birse K, *Mwangi L, Chen Y, Cheruiyot J, Akolo M, Mungai J, Boily-Larouche G, Romas L, Mutch S, Kimani M, Oyugi J, Ho EA, Burgener A, Kimani J, FOWKE KR. Using safe, affordable and accessible non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce the number of HIV target cells in the blood and at the female genital tract. Journal of the International AIDS Society. (IF 6.3) Jul;21(7):e25150. doi: 10.1002/jia2.25150. PMID: 30047573. * equal contribution.
5. Chen Y, Traore Y, Yang S, Lajoie J, FOWKE KR, Rickey D, Ho EA. Implant delivering hydroxychloroquine attenuates vaginal T lymphocyte activation and inflammation. Journal of Controlled Release. (IF 8.450). May 10;277:102-113. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2018.03.010. Epub 2018 Mar 13.PMID: 29545105
6. Wessels JM, Lajoie J, Vitali D, Omollo K, Kimani J, Oyugi J, Cheruiyot J, Kimani J, Mugai, JN, Akolo M, Stearns JC, Surette MG, FOWKE KR#, Kaushic C#. Association of High-Risk Sexual Behaviour with Diversity of the Vaginal Microbiota and Abundance of Lactobacillus. PLoS One. 2017 Nov 2;12(11):e0187612. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0187612. eCollection 2017.PMID: 29095928 #Co-senior authors.
7. Boily-Larouche G, Omollo K, Cheruiyot J, Njoki J, Kimani M, Kimani J, Oyugi J, Lajoie J, and FOWKE KR. CD161 identifies polyfunctional Th1/Th17 cells in the genital mucosa that are depleted in HIV-infected female sex workers from Nairobi, Kenya. Scientific Report. 2017. Sept 11 7: (11123)1-10. DOI:10.1038/s41598-017-11706-y PMID: 28894259
8. Lajoie J, Mwangi L, FOWKE KR. Preventing HIV infection without targeting the virus: how reducing HIV target cells at the genital tract is a new approach to HIV prevention. AIDS Research and Therapy. 2017. 14(46):1-5. DOI 10.1186/s12981-017-0166-7 PMID: 28893304
9. Taborda NA, Hernández JC, Lajoie J, Juno JA, Kimani J, Rugeles MT, FOWKE KR. Low expression of activation and inhibitory molecules on NK cells and CD4+ T-cells is associated with viral control. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. 2015. 31(6):636-40. DOI: 10.1089/aid.2014.0325 PMID: 25738606
10. Juno JA, Stalker AT, Waruk J, Oyugi J, Kimani M, Plummer FA, Kimani J, FOWKE KR. Elevated Expression of LAG-3, but not PD-1, is Associated with Impaired iNKT Cytokine Production during Chronic HIV-1 Infection and Treatment. Retrovirology. 2015. 12:1-17 DOI 10.1186/s12977-015-0142-z. PMID: 25810006