The program is offered at either the Pan Am Clinic or the Legacy Sport Medicine Clinic.
One position is offered for both the Pan Am Clinic and Legacy Sport Medicine Clinic each academic year. Applicants may choose to apply to one or both programs but will need to specify which program(s) they are applying to.
1) Confirm your eligibility
All applicants must meet the following requirements:
- You must be registered and in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba or the regulatory body of your home province
- You have completed or are in the process of completing a two-year family medicine residency or equivalent
- You have current ACLS certification
- It is preferred that you have CCFP designation at the time of application, but it is not mandatory
2) Gather your documents
You will require the following:
- Three signed letters of reference written no more than three months before the application deadline
- Short essay (max. one page), briefly outlining your career and learning goals for the program and why you are the best candidate for the program
- Certificate of Professional Standing from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba or from the regulatory body of your home province
3) Complete your application
Your application is considered complete when you have successfully submitted the documents outlined above. No additional application forms are required.
Your documents can be provided to the program coordinator by mail, fax or email (contact information in the column to the right.)
The deadline for submission is October 31 of each year.
You can expect a response to your application by the second week of November. Successful applicants will begin the program July 1 of the following year.
Upon successful completion of the Sports and Exercise Medicine Enhanced Skills program you will receive a diploma from the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine and you will be eligible to apply for a Certificate of Added Competency (SEM) from the College of Family Physicians of Canada.
Enhanced Skills Director: Dr. Edward Tan
Enhanced Skills Sport and Exercise Medicine Pan Am Clinic Program Director: Dr. Hein Peters
Enhanced Skills Sport and Exercise Medicine Legacy Sport Medicine Clinic Program Director: Dr. Neil Craton
Administrative support: Collette Thiessen
Updated July 3, 2018
Click for contact information and a detailed team profile.
To apply or to ask questions about the process, please contact:
770 Bannatyne Ave.
Winnipeg, MB R3M 3E9
The application deadline for this program is November 1 of each year.