Iresha Ratnayake, MSc Community Health Sciences
Iresha completed her undergraduate degree in Family Social Sciences at the University of Manitoba. She is currently a M.Sc. student in the department of Community Health Sciences. Iresha’s research interests include social determinants of health, intellectual disabilities, and health services research. Her thesis involves the implementation and evaluation of the Comprehensive Health Assessment Program (CHAP) for persons with an intellectual disability. This tool aims at disease prevention and health promotion in this population. Iresha completed the Western Regional Training Centre training program during the 2014-2015 academic year.
Field Placement Agency: MHHLS (Acute, Tertiary and Specialty Care)
Agency Supervisor: Brie DeMone, Executive Director, ATSC
Placement Start Date: July 6th, 2015 End Date: September 25th, 2015
Provide approximately how many hours worked per week: 30
Child health portfolio
- The tasks for the child health portfolio involved the following program areas: Unified Referral Intake System (URIS), Child Therapy Initiative (CTI), and diagnosing adults with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder.
- URIS- Data was extracted from a database and translated into graphs/tables. A final presentation was also prepared.
- CTI- A survey was prepared to gain insight into other national child therapy initiatives.
- FASD adult diagnosis- Conducted an environmental scan on clinics that offer diagnosis for adults with FASD, conducted interviews via telephone conferencing with clinic managers in several other provinces, synthesized information into a report (information from interviews/web, challenges/successes, best models, recommendations).
Persons with Disability
- Conducted a provincial environmental scan on health and social supports available to persons with disability.
- Prepared a final report on persons with disabilities within the acute care system (main challenges, recommendations, best models from other provinces/countries etc.).
- Presented findings at an ATSC staff meeting.
- Assisted with the preparation of backgrounders and advisory notes.
- Created a presentation that looked at patient inquiry trends over time.
- Presented findings at an ATSC meeting.
- URIS presentation
- CTI survey
- Persons with disability environmental scan
- FASD report
- Persons with disability report and presentation