Health Equity Clicks: Community
is the online community for the National Collaborating Centre for Determinants of Health
. They provide resources for the Canadian public health community such as the following:
- News - includes links to a wide range of resources such as workshops, webinars, and conferences as well as calls for abstracts, online courses, and newsletters.
- Blog - includes stories from the field on topics such as income inequality, cultural competency, environmental health, and food security.
Should we treat poverty like any equivalent health condition?
- Do you ever have difficulty making ends meet at the end of the month?
- Examine the evidence between poverty and poor physical and mental health.
- Factor poverty into clinical decision-making like other risk factors.
- Inform your patients of specific benefit programs they may be eligible for such as Manitoba Prenatal Benefits.
- Direct your patients to apply for federal financial supports such as Old Age Security, Child Tax Benefit, Disability benefits or First Nations programs.
- Sign forms and write letters to support applications, if needed.
- Encourage your patients to fill out and mail in their income tax forms to make them eligible for various benefits, including drug coverage.
- Direct your patients to specific community programs and online resources provided by regional, provincial and federal non-profit organizations and governments.
- Make the website and/or hard copies of Get Your Benefits! available. This booklet details resources and income supports.
Michael Allan and James McCormack from Therapeutics Education Collaboration invited Gary Bloch to talk in detail about poverty in the following podcasts:
Other Tools for Providers
- Using Online Tools for Primary Care
- Advocacy and Research in Canada
- University of Manitoba - Primary Prevention Research Group -Dr. Alan Katz has recruited a dynamic interdisciplinary team that is working on multiple projects focused on primary prevention and risk behaviours including: tobacco use and exposure, physical inactivity, mental wellbeing (resilience), nutrition and risk stratification.
- Manitoba College of Family Physicians - Resources - contains links to Clinical Practice Guidelines database, Manitoba Government health care report card, CME rebate program, and other new services, guidelines and protocols.
- Health Providers Against Poverty - Resources - contains links to clinical tools, patient handouts, service guides, literature and more.
- Reviews, reports and commentaries
- Webinars and Presentations
- Webinar - Food Insecurity Part 3 - How does food insecurity relate to health and what are the implications for health care providers (May 18, 2017). Valerie Tarasuk, PhD, Lynn McIntyre, MD, MHSc, FRCPC, FCAHS, and Carlota Basualdo-Hammond, MSc, MPH, RD. From CDPAC/PHAC.
- Presentation - How to Really Make a Difference to Manitoba Children's Health and Well-Being - through medical practice and advocacy. Noralou Roos, PhD, and Sharon Macdonald, MD, FRCPC, with thanks to Lee Ford Jones, MD, and Gary Bloch, MD.
Also see news articles, commentaries, infographics, and backgrounders available in the General Resources section.