Persons Living with Disabilities
If you are not able to earn income because of health issues or a disability, there are some government programs that might help you:
  • Canada Pension Plan– Disability Benefits - If you worked and contributed to CPP you may be able to get a disability pension until you turn 65. Apply online or call 1-800-277-9914 to have an application kit mailed to you.
  • Community Living disABILITY Services - provides a range of support services for adults with an intellectual disability. The  program supports eligible adults to live safe, inclusive lives in the community.
  • Children's disABILITY Services - supports families who are raising a child/children with developmental or physical disabilities. See Manitoba Regional Offices to find a location near you.
  • Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) – Disability Benefits - Persons with disabilities receive additional  EIA benefits, including the Income Assistance for Persons with  Disabilities (IAPD).
  • If prescribed by a health practitioner, persons receiving income assistance may be eligible for:
    • Special diets due to medical problems
    • Coverage for transportation or phone costs due to medical needs
    • Additional health-related/medical supplies/equipment and not covered under any other program

You might qualify for additional federal tax benefits such as the following. Call 1-800-387-1193. Note: If you are blind or partially-sighted, you can get CRA publications  and personalized correspondence in Braille, large print, electronic text, or MP3 by going to CRA - About Multiple Formats or by calling 1-800-959-8281.

  • Disability Tax Credit – a tax credit that can reduce your taxes or be transferred to a spouse/partner to reduce theirs. The Canada Revenue Agency must approve the credit before you can make a claim.
  • Working Income Tax Benefit – Disability Supplement – an additional refundable amount tops up the working income tax benefit if you are also eligible for the disability tax credit.
  • Refundable Medical Expense Supplement – a refundable credit  that can be claimed on the tax return of working individuals with low incomes and high medical expenses.
  • Registered Disability Savings Plan – a program that allows you to save for the future without  losing any of your EIA-D benefits. The government  will match your savings up to 300%.  Even if you have a low income and cannot put money in your plan, the government  may give you up to $1,000 each year.
    Options for using the Registered Disability Savings Plan are described more fully at Canada Disability Savings Grant and Canada Disability Savings Bond. You do not need to make contributions to get the bond, but you do need to make contributions to qualify for the grant.

Society for Manitobans with Disabilities (SMD) - provides programs and services to meet the needs of children, youth, and adults with disabilities. Call 204-975-3010 in Winnipeg or toll-free at 1-866-282-8041 outside Winnipeg. TTY 204-975-3083. Email

Specialized Services for Children & Youth (SCCY) - an initiative focused on the integration and, where possible, co-location of services for Manitoba children and youth with disabilities and special needs. Call 204-452-4311.





Booklet (2018)

Project summary