The next full Accreditation Review will take place in late fall 2021.
CANRac leaders have provided the following primer highlighting key implications of the changes to the new Accreditation process.
General Standards and Implementation Primer - Residency Accreditation in the life of the Postgraduate Office
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (RCPSC), the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC), and the College des medecins du Quebec (CMQ) have partnered together to establish the new Canadian Residency Accreditation Consortium (CanRAC) for Canadian residency education. The new accreditation standards will be shared with our college eighteen to twenty-four months in advance of the date for our onsite review.
The new conjoint accreditation processes and standards will:
- Align accreditation with the educational design of both Triple C (Comprehensive, focused on Continuity of education and patient care, and Centred in family medicine) and CBD (Competency By Design).
- Align accreditation with the CanMEDS 2015/CanMEDS FM.
- Align with the education continuum.
- Align with the Future of Medical Education in Canada (FMEC).
- Increase focus on outcomes while maintaining essential process markers of program and institution quality.
For further information about the transition to the new accreditation processes, please visit the CanRAC website.