Graduate Studies Executive Committee
Membership | Assessor | Term of Members | Meetings | Powers and Duties
The following shall be members of the Executive Committee:
- the Vice Provost (Graduate Education) and Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies (chair, non-voting except to break ties);
- the Associate Dean(s), Faculty of Graduate Studies;
- the coordinator of the Masters Program from Université de Saint-Boniface;
- one (1) representative from each Faculty/College/School listed below. Normally this representative is the Associate Dean Research or Research Liaison Officer (ADR/RLO) or the Associate Dean Graduate (ADG) for the Faculty/College/School where such a position exist.
- Agricultural and Food Sciences
- Arts - Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of Environment, Earth and Resources
- Desautels Faculty of Music
- Graduate Studies
- I.H. Asper School of Business
- Kinesiology and Recreation Management
- Social Work
- Max Rady College of Medicine
- Rehabilitation Sciences
- three (3) graduate students from among the members of Faculty Council elected by, and in a manner established by the Graduate Students' Association.
- The Program Coordinator of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
Term of members
The terms of members of the Executive Committee shall be as follows:
- faculty members in category ‘d’ shall have a term commensurate with their position as an ADR/RLO or ADG; and
- graduate student members shall have a one (1) year term commencing July 1 of the year of selection; graduate student(s) shall be eligible for reappointment.
- The Dean or the Dean's designate shall call and preside at all meetings of the Executive Committee;
- the Executive Committee shall normally meet in September, October, November, February, March, April, May, and June;
- at least five (5) days written notice of any regular Executive Committee meeting and at least forty-eight hours notice for any special Executive Committee meeting shall be given to all members of the Executive Committee;
- the quorum shall be one-third (1/3) of the membership; and
- a support staff person appointed by the dean shall be the secretary (non-voting) of the Executive Committee.
Powers and Duties
Subject to the powers and duties of Faculty Council, the Executive Committee shall:
- prepare items for the agenda for Faculty Council meetings;
- refer to committees any matters deemed appropriate for their consideration;
- call special meetings of the Faculty Council;
- comment on, endorse or advise against any matters pertaining to Graduate Studies to Faculty Council including, but not limited to:
- recommendations regarding new programs and program changes,
- recommendations of strategic initiatives, and
- recommendations regarding new courses, course changes; or new changes to existing regulations arising from standing or ad hoc committees of the Faculty Council;
- guide formulation of Faculty of Graduate Studies policy for submission to Faculty Council;
- ensure that Faculty Council Policy is properly executed;
- decide regarding the application of regulations on request of the dean;
- receive and consider reports from any standing and ad hoc committees of the Faculty Council and recommend to the Faculty Council on their disposition;
- provide a cross section of informed faculty opinion for consultation with the dean on policy matters which need not be or cannot be considered by the entire Faculty Council;
- deal with contingencies that arise between meetings of the Faculty Council and, in general, assist the dean in disposing of matters of a routine nature that do not substantially involve questions of general policy;
- report to the Faculty Council with respect to actions taken by the Executive Committee;
- appoint ad hoc committees of the Faculty Council of Graduate Studies;
- nominate members to Standing and ad hoc committees of the Faculty Council; and
- carry out such other functions as the Faculty Council may from time to time specify.