Graduate Studies Awards Committee
Membership | Term of Members | Meetings | Powers and Duties
The following shall be members of the Awards Committee:
- dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies (chair, non-voting except to break ties);
- associate deans of the Faculty of Graduate Studies;
- twelve (12) Faculty members, including one member from Université de Saint-Boniface;
- three (3) graduate students selected by the Graduate Students’ Association; and
- ad hoc faculty members as required to adjudicate specific awards.
The faculty members in category ‘c’ shall be nominated from the Faculty of Graduate Studies by the Executive Committee and elected by Faculty Council. Additional nominations shall be sought from Faculties and from the floor during a regular meeting of Faculty Council. Faculty members in category ‘e’ shall be recommended by the Awards Officer and approved by the Executive Committee. All members shall be nominated from three disciplinary fields represented by the three national granting councils, i.e., SSHRC, NSERC, and CIHR.
Term of Members
The terms of members of the Awards Committee shall be as follows:
- faculty members in category ‘c’ shall have a three (3) year term commencing July 1 of the year of selection; the membership of faculty members shall be staggered such that one-third of the committee (i.e., 4 members) shall be replaced/reappointed each year; and
- graduate student members shall have a one (1) year term commencing July 1 of the year of selection; graduate student(s) shall be eligible for reappointment.
- The dean (or designate) shall call and preside at all meetings of the Awards Committee;
- the Awards Committee shall normally meet for NSERC, SSHRC, and CIHR graduate scholarships, and for any other awards requiring adjudication by the Faculty of Graduate Studies;
- the quorum shall be fifty percent of the members plus one; and
- the Awards Officer or the Assistant to the Awards Officer shall be the secretary (non-voting) of the Awards Committee.
Powers and Duties
Subject to the powers and duties of the Faculty Council, the Awards Committee shall:
- evaluate applications and adjudicate all Awards under the jurisdiction of the Faculty of Graduate Studies;
- recommend on awards policies to the Faculty of Graduate Studies;
- initiate and develop policies for new awards for the Faculty of Graduate Studies.