Graduate Student Experience Committee
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Membership | Terms of Members | Meetings | Powers and Duties
The following shall be members of the Graduate Student Experience Committee:
- Vice Provost (Graduate Education) and Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies (chair, non-voting, except to break ties);
- President, Graduate Students' Association;
- Three (3) Associate Deans, Faculty of Graduate Studies;
- Three (3) members of the Executive Committee of the Graduate Students Association as selected by the Graduate Student Association;
- Two (2) representatives from each of the areas listed below chosen by the Executive Committee of the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Normally, these representatives will be graduate chairs, Associate Deans Research or Research Liaison Officers, or Associate Deans Graduate;
- Health Sciences
- Natural and Applied Sciences
- Social Sciences and Humanities
- Six (6) graduate students as selected by the Graduate Students' Association.
Terms of Members
The terms of members of the Graduate Student Experience Committee shall be as follows:
- members in categories 'a', 'b', and 'c' are ex-officio with voting privileges;
- members in category 'e' shall have a one (1) to three (3) year term commencing July 1 of the year of selection; the terms of these members shall be staggered such that one-third of the committee shall be replace/reappointed each year;
- members in categories 'b', 'd', and 'f' shall have a one (1) year commencing July 1 of the year of selection; these members shall be eligible for reappointment.
- The Vice Provost (Graduate Education) and Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies (or designate) shall call and preside at all meetings of the Graduate Student Experience Committee;
- The Graduate Student Experience Committee shall normally meet once in the fall and once in the winter academic terms;
- Quorum shall be fifty percent of the members plus one; and
- a staff person appointed by the Vice Provost (Graduate Education) and Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies shall be the secretary (non-voting) of the Committee.
Powers and Duties
Subject to the powers and duties of Faculty Council, the Graduate Student Experience Committee shall:
- discuss issues affecting, and of concern to, graduate students;
- review and comment on any proposals brought forward; and
- review information, comments, proposals, and recommendations to the Executive Committee of the Faculty of Graduate Studies or the Student Experience Committee of Senate as appropriate.