International Students - Application Procedures

The First Step

Once you have identified the department in which you would like to pursue your Master's or Ph.D. degree, you should contact the department to determine whether your research interests can be accommodated by the unit. Admission requirements, research interests, faculty links and other department information including email and weblinks are noted in Graduate Programs.

Sending an Application

Once you have determined that a unit will be able to accommodate your academic goals, the unit will request a formal application. All documentation should be sent directly to the Faculty of Graduate Studies (the mailing address is found on the Application for Admission form) and should include:

Application for Admission Form
Visit the department website (Master's, Ph.D.) to download the Application for Admission form. Some units require an on-line pre-application form to be completed by the applicant. Please check the department website for details.
Application Fee
$100 CDN is required for each application you submit. Please refer to the Application for Admission form for payment instructions.
English Language Proficiency Test Scores
A successfully completed English Language Proficiency Test is required of all applicants.  Proficiency in English can be demonstrated prior to admission by:

i) Possessing a high school diploma or university degree from Canada or one of the countries on the English Language Proficiency Test Exemption List.
ii) Successfully completing an English Language Proficiency Test (minimum scores are indicated in parentheses; some departments may require a specific test or test scores greater than those indicated).
  • University of Michigan English Language Examination Assessment Battery MELAB (80%)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language TOEFL – Paper-based test (550); Internet-based test (80)
  • Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Teachers CanTEST (band 4.5 in listening and reading and band 4.0 in writing and oral interview)
  • International English Language Testing System IELTS (6.5)
  • Academic English Program for University and College Entrance AEPUCE (65%)
  • Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) – minimum 60 overall and 60 on each subject.
  • If applicable, this score is required as a basis for admission and applicants will NOT be accepted subject to receipt of an acceptable score. Documented proof of either the above must be submitted with the application for admission. Please note: scores more than two years old are not acceptable.

    Official Transcripts

    Official transcripts are required from ALL recognized, post-secondary institutions, no matter whether a degree has been awarded or not. Transcripts (original or certified copies) must be received in envelopes that have been sealed and endorsed (stamped across the back flap) by the main Records Office of the issuing institution to be considered official.  In cases where the transcript does / will not clearly state that a degree has been conferred, an official degree certificate (attested or certified copy) is required to accompany the transcript.  Where academic records from a country other than Canada are produced in a language other than English, the applicant must arrange for the submission of official literal translations of all records.  To be official, original language documents and the English translations must arrive together in an envelope that has been sealed and endorsed (stamped across the back flap) by the issuing institutions.  All academic documents must arrive from the general records office (e.g., the Registrar, Controller of Examinations, Archives, etc.) of the issuing institution to be considered official.

    Other Supporting Documentation

    • Reference Letters - Most departments/units require reference letters in support of an application. Note that some departments may require their own form.

    • A copy of birth certificate or passport (for those students who have never previously registered at the University of Manitoba).

    • Name changes/differences on documentation must be supported with official evidence.

    • Other supporting documentation may include: a copy of your CV; a statement of interest; sample of writing, etc. Please visit the department website for a complete list of required documentation.

    Application Fraud or Misconduct

    It should be noted that the commission of application fraud or misconduct may result in acceptance and registration being withdrawn and the applicant disqualified from consideration, not only in the year of application, but, in all subsequent sessions. If discovered in a subsequent session it may result in dismissal from the university. Application fraud or misconduct includes the following:

    • Failure to declare attendance at another post-secondary institution;

    • Presenting falsified academic documentation or causing or encouraging another person to falsify records through translation or data changes;

    • Presenting falsified personal documentation, e.g. using a false name, date of birth, country of origin, etc.;

    • Presenting falsified or fictitious reference documentation;

    • Cheating on or having another person write a standardized entry exam such as TOEFL, MCAT, LSAT, DAT or GMAT;

    • Presenting another person's standardized test score as one's own to falsify a test result; and

    • Failure to report suspensions from another post-secondary institution.

    Application Deadlines

    In addition to applying to the University of Manitoba, international applicants must make arrangements to enter Canada. This process should begin when you submit your application for graduate admission.

    Please consult the department for their specific application deadline. Generally, international applicants should submit their application 7 - 9 months prior to their expected start date.

    The Faculty of graduate studies notifies applicants of their acceptance or rejection.

    Studying in Canada

    All international students must obtain a Study Permit before coming to Canada. This can be obtained from the nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate. For certain countries, the Canadian government also requires students to obtain a Visitor Visa in addition to the Study Permit. A Visitor Visa is usually issued at the same time as the Study Permit. Spouses and children who come to Canada with you will also require a Visitor Visa. Please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for details on requirements for entering and studying in Canada.

    This documentation must be applied for before coming to Canada. Before Canada Customs and Immigration will issue a Study Permit you will need an official letter of acceptance from the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

    The University of Manitoba's International Centre for Students is an excellent resource for information on coming to Canada, what to expect when you arrive and tips on everything from transportation to accommodation. It's a great starting point if you are considering attending the U of M!