University Policies and Research Updates
FAQ and current university policies around research, including policies around exemptions:
Fall Term. We understand that you will have many questions about the Fall Term, and we will do our best to answer those on our webpage here.
July 23 Registration for Fall & Winter Terms opens in Aurora for returning students
September 9 Fall Term classes begin
November 9-13 Fall Break Week
December 12-23 Fall Term exam period
January 5-15, 2021 Critical in-person activities, such as labs, associated with some courses offered remotely from September through December 2020 will take place during this period
January 18, 2021 Winter Term 2021 classes begin
Please see the Registrar’s Office website for all important dates.
Check umanitoba.ca/coronavirus for the most up-to-date information.
Support from the Libraries – The Libraries continue to provide collections and services online:
What’s happening with mailed items? See information about mail and other essential onsite services during buildings closure.
Manitoba Student Aid: students are asked to regularly check the Manitoba Student Aid website for updates at: http://www.manitobastudentaid.ca/
Government financial resources. The Government of Canada announced the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB), which provides up to $1,250/month over the summer (May to August) to eligible post-secondary students, including part-time students, those who are set to begin their studies in the summer or fall, and recent graduates. Students with dependents or with disabilities will be eligible for an additional $500/month. Students will be able to apply for this benefit in the coming days and weeks. More information on these enhanced resources can be found on our COVID-19 website under Government Resources, or by visiting the Government of Canada student grants website.
Faculty of Graduate Studies
FGS staff are working from home and will continue to conduct business as best as possible under these circumstances. Because of this new distance-working mode, some areas may experience delays.
Oral Examinations - updated
- FGS will work with units regarding any oral Ph.D. thesis examinations scheduled after March 31, 2020. Students fulfilling their program requirements will be eligible to graduate at the next graduation date.
- International students: If you are concerned with potential delays in completing your program due to the above adjustments, we encourage you to contact an Advisor at the International Centre (IC) to discuss some important considerations. You can reach an Advisor at the IC by sending an email with your full name and student number, to email@example.com.
Spring Convocation 2020
Spring convocation 2020 has been cancelled; however, students fulfilling their program requirements by March 31, 2020 will be eligible to graduate in June 2020. The University is working on alternate plans for a celebration at the appropriate time in the future.
All graduate students are required to register every academic term which includes Fall, Winter and Summer. If students do not register by July 3rd, 2020, they will be discontinued from their program of study. The Registrar's Office has indicated that registration for GRAD 6000, GRAD 7020, GRAD 7022, and GRAD 8020 will be open in April. Check umanitoba.ca/registrar for the most up-to-date information.
Progress Report Form - updated information
- FGS requires that each graduate student complete the "Progress Report Form" normally due June 1. This review provides an excellent opportunity to document achievements, develop a plan to address deficiencies and establish expectations/goals for the coming year. As in-person contact and on-site presence has virtually ceased, this will also provide an opportunity to discuss expectations while working from home.
- While we encourage submission of the Progress Report Form for June 1, we are extending this deadline to July 1 in light of the Covid-19 crisis and the extra stresses imposed on Faculty and students at this time. The Advisory Committee meeting is to be virtual using available resources (WebEx, BlueJeans, Zoom, telephone, etc.). Electronic signatures of PDFs of the report are acceptable. Once signed by the Graduate Chair/Unit Head, please forward the forms to FGS. Progress Report Forms will be processed as they are received in the office; receiving them in bulk may require more time to complete processing.
- Any exceptional requests can be addressed to the Dean/Associate Dean.
Awards - new information
- The deadlines for all current internal University of Manitoba awards competitions have been pushed back to May 1, 2020; deadlines for newly advertised internal awards will be set for June 2020 and beyond where possible.
- We continue to accept GETS applications and UMGF recommendations; however, there will be some delay in processing. We are working as efficiently as possible.
Admissions to Graduate Studies - updated information
- English Proficiency Testing: University Senate has approved as of March 18, 2020 to temporarily allow the use of the Duolingo English Test (englishtest.duolingo.com) for the Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 intakes, with a minimum acceptable test score of 115.
- Admission Application Deadlines: The Faculty of Graduate Studies will consider accommodating Department/Unit level decisions that might impact admission timelines.
- Admission Deferrals: The Faculty of Graduate Studies will accommodate admission deferrals while registration is suspended or in the event that travel is prohibited, or quarantine/self-isolation is required.
Graduate Teaching Program:
- Due to the continued closure of the University of Manitoba during the Covid-19 crisis, Program Registration for the Spring 2020 intake of the Level 1: Novice Graduate Teaching Program has been cancelled. There will be no intake for the program in May 2020. The next opportunity for registration will be Fall 2020.
- The Fall 2020 (October) intake registration information is as follows:
Program Registration Fall 2020 Date: Monday, September 21, 2020 at 10:00am. The registration link will appear here at 10:00am.
Orientation Fall 2020 Date: Wednesday, October 7, 2020 from 9:00am-4:00pm, Room 223, 65 Dafoe Rd.
Teaching Essentials 1 Institute (GTPNTE1) Fall 2020 Date: Thursday, October 8, 2020 from 8:30am–4:30pm, Room 223, 65 Dafoe Rd
- Student Sport and Recreation Fee will not be applied to tuition for Summer Term 2020. (Talk to the RO if you see it on your account.)