International Students

International students are encouraged to apply for Co-op/IIP.

International students accepted into the Co-op /IIP MUST obtain a Co-op Work Permit. The procedure is as follows:

  1. Co-op Work Permit applications can now be completed online. Please visit the following website to apply.
  2. Request a letter from the Co-op/IIP Office detailing the conditions of participation and employment. This letter will ask that the Work Authorization Permit be valid until the completion of all work terms. It must be uploaded to the above application package.
  3. Once you have completed the application and uploaded all the required documents you can submit the application.
  4. To check the status of applications please go to:

There is no fee for Work Permit applications within internship or co-op programs.

Once the Work Permit has been prepared it will be forwarded directly to the applicant's home address.

A copy of the Work Authorization Permit must be submitted to both the work term employer and the Co-op/IIP Office prior to the commencement of the work term.

Once International students have secured a position, a Social Insurance Number must be obtained. Information on the process can be found on the Government of Canada website. Applications can be submitted at any Service Canada Centre with the required documents. This should be done as soon as a placement has been secured. International students are not permitted to begin a work term without a SIN number or Work Term Permit.

Canadian federal government policy dictates that international students are only allowed to work for federal departments and agencies if no students with Canadian citizenship are available. International students may apply for federal government co-op positions in the regular recruitment process but must indicate their international student status in their cover letter.

Student Links

Employer Links

Contact Us