Engineering Co-op/IIP is much more than a short-term job placement solution. Cooperative education provides students with the opportunity to:
- Develop crucial technical and employability skills.
- Earn money to supplement education costs. All Co-op/IIP students are provided with a competitive compensation plan.
- Build a resume / portfolio. Each work term allows students to expand their resume to include new skills developed during real work experience.
- Explore career options and define long-term goals.
- Gain confidence in their abilities and identify areas that are in need of further development.
- Develop and maintain important industry contacts.
- Maintain student status with the faculty and U of M during extended 12 or 16 month work placements
- Assistance in completing Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba reports for EIT credit.
- Begin earning EIT credit after successfully completing 58 degree credit hours.
- Receive the Co-op/IIP option on your degree parchment.
- Travel to other parts of the country or world.
Participation in the Co-op /IIPis a privilege. Students who are accepted into the program are required to:
- • Ensure that all academic requirements are being met.
- • Adhere to all Co-op/IIP guidelines and deadlines.
- Represent Engineering Co-op/IIP in a professional and ethical manner.
- Follow all employer policies and procedures.
- Attend all mandatory Co-op/IIP meetings and interviews.
- Ensure that resumes and cover letters are professional in appearance and effective as marketing tools.
- Pay for all work term and course fees.
- Apply for an appropriate number of jobs.
- Arrange for work permits (international students).
- Submit all required Co-op/IIP forms.
- Check your U of M email account regularly for information and updates.
- Adhere to all Co-op/IIP guidelines and deadlines.