Co-op/IIP education provides students with supports and opportunities to:
• Gain career development and employment support from the Co-op/IIP team of
coordinators and staff from the application process to graduation.
• Develop crucial technical and employability skills.
• Earn money to supplement education costs. All Co-op/IIP students are provided with a
competitive compensation plan.
• Build a resume / portfolio. Each work term allows students to expand their resume to
include new skills developed during real work experience.
• Explore career options and define long-term goals.
• Gain confidence in their abilities and identify areas that are in need of
• Develop and maintain important industry contacts.
• Maintain student status with the faculty and U of M during extended 12 or 16
month work placements.
• Be assisted in completing Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba reports for EIT credit.
• Begin earning EIT credit after successfully completing 58 degree credit hours.
• Travel to other parts of the country or world.
• Gain access to student awards such as the Friends of Engineering Co-op/IIP
student of the Year, UofM Co-op Students of the Year, CEWIL Canada student
of the year.
• Reflect and learn at a higher level that supports “industry Ready” graduates.
• Gain support from an Engineer in Residence dedicated to Co-op/IIP support.
• Gain Co-op designations on transcripts and parchments that are an advantage when
seeking permanent employment.
• Gain recognition that allows employers to access hiring incentives for student
• Employers of Co-op/IIP graduates gain access to hiring incentives for permanent
employment. These incentives are only available to students who have completed
3 Co-op/IIP work terms.
If you have further questions connect with our staff, please click on the Contact Us link.