Examining Committee & Thesis Distribution
There is no longer a requirement for an “internal-external” examining committee member
FACULTY OF GRADUATE STUDIES ACADEMIC GUIDELINES
This information is from the University of Manitoba's Faculty of Graduate Studies Academic Guidelines. For the latest Academic Guideline information please always check the Guidelines at
Information regarding the Ph.D. Examining Committee including their duties may be found here
INTERNAL COMMITTEE INFORMATION
ADVISORY COMMITTEE FORMATION AND REPORTING
- See HERE for infomation on the formation of an Advisory Committee.
- At least 3 internal thesis examiners are recommended on the APPOINTMENT OF ADVISORY COMMITTEE form.
- This form is approved by the Graduate Chair and FGS after the Candidacy Exam is approved.
THE INTERNAL COMMITTEE (Advisory Committee) CONSISTS OF...
- THE CANDIDATE'S ADVISOR
- The Advisor has a vote valued at 2 votes
- In the event that there is also a CO-ADVISOR, both the Advisor and Co-Advisor have 1 vote each totalling 2 votes
- TWO COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
- ALL voting members of the Advisory Committee are expected to serve on the Examining Committee
- ADVANCE NOTICE REQUIRED: Any Internal member who is either unable to attend the Final Oral or who is unable to attend in-person must be reported to, and approved the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies as soon as possible in advance of the Final Oral.
- The Academic Advisor must submit a reason for the absence or non-in-person attendance.
The candidate’s ADVISOR / CO-ADVISOR, in consultation with the ADVISORY COMMITTEE, will recommend the names of three(3) distinguished scholars from OUTSIDE the University of Manitoba with
- Particular experience in the field of the theses research AND
- SIGNIFICANT Ph.D. student advisory/examination experience
SELECTING and SUBMITTING the names of External Examiners is the responsibility of the ACADEMIC ADVISOR NOT STUDENT
SUBMITTING EXTERNAL EXAMINER CANDIDATES
The Candidate's Advisor
- Submits the "APPROVAL TO PROCEED TO PhD THESIS EXAMINATION" FORM
- ADVISOR SUBMITS to FGS at firstname.lastname@example.org
- "APPROVAL TO PROCEED TO PhD THESIS EXAMINATION" FORM
- Student’s thesis as a .pdf file (should be no more than 10 mb) plus any additional supplemental files (if applicable)
- A list of THREE(3) Prospective External Examiners which includes:
(information found on the internet – No contact should be made with prospective externals; FGS will contact individuals if additional information is needed)
- Once all of the above is received FGS will begin the process of securing an external examiner
- Once an EXTERNAL has been confirmed, the thesis and instructions for preparing/submitting reports will be e-mailed to ALL EXAMINERS.
- Examiners will have 3-weeks to submit their reports, but may take longer.
- FGS will send out weekly reminders to individuals if their report hasn’t been received after 3-weeks.
- Once all reports have been received, they will be e-mailed to the Advisor(s) and internal committee members to share with the student.
GUIDELINES FOR THE RECOMMENDATION OF EXTERNAL EXAMINERS
If any of the recommended examiners does not meet the following criteria, specified below, a detailed explanation should be included with the rationale for the recommendation.
- EXTERNAL EXAMINER MUST:
- hold a Ph.D. or Equivalent
- hold the rank of Associate Professor, Full Professor, Senior Scholar, or Emeritus Professor (or the equivalent if outside North America) at a university, or have comparable expertise and standing if not a faculty member at a university
- have an established reputation in the area of the thesis research and be able to judge whether the thesis would be acceptable at an institution comparable to the University of Manitoba; and
- have significant recent experience with the supervision and/or examination of Ph.D. students
- The EXTERNAL EXAMINER MUST NOT:
- have acted as an external examiner for the same Ph.D. Supervisor within the previous TWO YEARS;
- have been associated with the candidate at any time or in any significant way in the past five(5) years, present or reasonably foreseeable future (advisor/co-advisor, colleague, teacher, co-author of published material, family member, etc.);
- associated with the candidate’s advisor/co-advisor in any of the following ways:
- former student;
- research advisor/co-advisor;
- research collaborator within the last five years;
- co-author of published material within the last five yearS
- have had a significant academic disagreement with the candidate, the advisor/co-advisor or any member of the advisory committee
The Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies will choose the external examiner from the list provided by the candidate’s advisor/co-advisor and will make the formal invitation to the external examiner. The Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies shall ensure the anonymity of the external examiner until it has been determined that the student can proceed to oral defence.
CHANGES TO AN ESTABLISH COMMITTEE
- APPROVAL REQUIRED: The Dean of Graduate Studies must approve changes in the membership of the Examining Committee.
- NO CHANGES may be made to an Examining Committee after the thesis is distributed by the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
DON'T FORGET! REGISTER TO GRADUATE
Please remember to register so we can record that you've successfully completed your Defence.
- Go into your AURORA account
- Select both
- Grad 8020
- Grad 8000
- Register in both these course designations
- Pay your fees for that term.