University of Manitoba - Faculty of Arts - Travel Study / Exchange Frequently Asked Questions
Travel Study / Exchange Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible?
If you have completed a minimum of one full year of study at the University of Manitoba, are enrolled in a Faculty or School, and have an acceptable level of academic standing, then you may be eligible for an exchange program. For Faculty of Arts graduate students a study/research program is available in Sao Paolo, Brazil through Professor Diana Brydon’s Centre for Globalization and Cultural Studies.

How do I apply?
For Exchange programs, fill out the online application form and follow the instructions for application. (The form can also be picked up from the International Centre for Students in Room 541 University Centre.) Once students have been accepted into the Exchange program, they should consult with student advisors in the Faculty of Arts to ensure the courses can be used towards their Bachelor of Arts degree.
For information on Travel Study/Field Study courses you can contact the department directly. Registration for these courses is completed through the Aurora Student online registration system. For further information contact the Faculty of Arts General Office.

Where could I go?
Refer to the Areas of Study and Partner Universities chart (subject to change).
Contact the International Centre for Students (ICS) or the Faculty of Arts for more information.

Where would I live?
Most students stay with a host-family or in a host-campus residence, youth hostel, or facility of their choice. A number of the programs have pre-arranged accommodations included in their course/program fees.

Can I afford to go?
You remain a University of Manitoba student while on exchange and pay the same tuition fees to the University of Manitoba as you would if you were here. The tuition fees for Travel Study/Field Study courses are similar to any other University of Manitoba courses. You can apply for student aid and other forms of Student Exchange Awards to help cover travel costs associated with studying abroad. The International Centre for Students ha more  information on financing an exchange. The Dean of the Faculty of Arts also provides travel-study awards on a competitive basis.

Do I need to speak another language?
A vast majority of the courses are taught in English. There are selected courses and programs that are only taught in that country’s official language. You may consider developing or enhancing your skill in a second (or third or fourth!) language to gain one of the primary skills of cross-cultural competency: communication. The Faculty of Arts offers language courses in French, Spanish, Italian, German, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Icelandic, Swedish, Mandarin, Japanese, Sanskrit, Hindi-Urdu, Ojibway, and Cree.