The Department of Psychology at the University of Manitoba offers an annual prize of $100 and a certificate to a graduate student who has demonstrated outstanding achievement in research, teaching, and service. The recipient’s name will also be engraved on a plaque to be displayed in the Department of Psychology. The prize will be offered to a graduate student who:
- was enrolled full time in the Faculty of Graduate Studies, in any graduate program delivered by the Department of Psychology in the academic session for which the prize is offered;
- has achieved a minimum degree grade point average of 3.5 in the graduate program;
- has, while enrolled as a graduate student, demonstrated outstanding:
- service to the Department, including but not restricted to committee service and involvement in the Graduate Association of Students of Psychology (GASP);
- performance in teaching, either as a teaching assistant or course instructor; and
- performance in research, based on a record of publications and conference presentations.
Nominations (including self-nominations) must be accompanied by (a) a letter of recommendation that addresses the candidate’s contributions in all three categories set out in criterion (3), (b) a copy of the nominee’s curriculum vitae, (c) one example of a publication or manuscript prepared by the candidate, (d) any relevant Student’s Evaluations of Educational Quality (SEEQ) scores, and (e) any other relevant information.
The Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies (or designate) will ask the Psychology Executive Committee to name the recipient for this award.
Past Star Award Recipients:
2018 : Katelyn Neufeld
2017 : Kristene Cheung
2016 : Julie Erickson
2015 : Sarah Germain
2014 : Brenda Stoesz
2013 : Kristin Reynolds
2012 : Kelley Robinson
2011 : Stacey Sasaki
2010 : Tamara Ansons