The thesis is a central requirement of the program. This page lists archival studies theses that have been completed.
JMP theses in progress.
80. “Towards a Master’s Program in Archival Studies at the School of Library and Information Studies, University of the Philippines,” (by Mary Grace Golfo-Barcelona), 2017.
79. “‘Society Seems Like It Doesn’t Even Know...’: Archival Records Regarding People Labelled with Intellectual Disability Who Have Been Institutionalized in Manitoba,” (by Mary Horodyski), 2016.
78. “Another Bit Bytes the Dust: The Technological and Human Challenges of Digital Preservation,” (by Christopher Zaste), 2016.
77. “Defining ‘Community’ in Models of Community Archives: Navigating the Politics of Representation as Archival Professionals,” (by Sarah Ramsden), 2016.
76. “Aditus Ad Archivum: Exploring Access to Catholic Diocesan Archives in Canada,” (by Tyyne Petrowski), 2016.
75. “Of Space, Time, and the Archives Between: The Life of Hugh A. Taylor and the Redefinition of the Archival Cosmos,” (by Jarad Buckwold), 2016.
74. “Animation Matters: The Richard Condie fonds and Archiving Animation,” (by Erin Acland), 2016.
73. “The Advocate’s Archive: Walter Rudnicki and the Fight for Indigenous Rights in Canada, 1955-2010,” (by Amanda Linden), 2016.
72. “The Work of Archives in the Age of Audio Reproduction: Archival Theory and Recorded Sound,” (by David Cuthbert), 2016.
71. “Medical Records Redefined: The Value of the Archival Record in Medical Research,” (by Natalie Vielfaure), 2015.
70. “Archival Foote-steps: The Lewis B. Foote First World War Photographs and Approaches to Digital Exhibitions,” (by Danna Slessor-Cobb), 2015.
69. “Acute Condition? Exploring the Status of Corporate Archives in Canadian Hospitals,” (by Emma Claire Prescott), 2014.
68. “A Canadian Traveller’s Tale: Lillian B. Allen and Documenting Travel, 1927-1979,” (by Tara Sadler), 2014.
67. “Information Oversight: Archives And Recordkeeping Practices In Manitoba Municipalities,” (by Andrea Martin), 2014.
66. “From Scattering Seeds to Planting Rows: Bringing in New Academic Researchers to University Archives,” (by Jeanette Lynn Mockford), 2013.
65. “Reading Behind the Lines: Archiving the Canadian News Media Record,” (by Josephine Sallis), 2013.
64. “Advocating Electronic Records: Archival And Records Management Promotion Of New Approaches To Long-Term Digital Preservation,” (by Daniel Elves), 2012
63. “The Interactive Archives: Social Media and Outreach,” (by Joan Marguerite Sinclair), 2012.
62. “Outreach in the Academic Community: Enhancing the Teaching Role of University Archives,” (by Bryan Bance), 2012.
61. "The Archival Web: Contextual Authority Files and the Representation of Institutional Textual Documents in Online Description," (by Madeleine McLuhan-Myers), 2012.
60. "Looking Under the Hood: Unraveling the Content, Structure, and Context of Functional Requirements for Electronic Recordkeeping Systems," (by Konrad Krahn), 2012.
59. “Why Does It Take So Long? Implementing Electronic Records Programs at Universities.” (by Guillermo Fiebelkorn), 2012.
58. "Getting Personal: Confronting the Challenges of Archiving Personal Records in a Digital Age," (by Jordan Bass), 2012.
57. "Diplomatic Records, Archival Description, and the Canadian Department of External Affairs in the 1920s," (by Anna Shumilak), 2012.
56. "Adding Gender to the Archival Contextual Turn: The Rocky Mountain Photographic Records of Mary Schäffer Warren," (by Jennifer Rutkair), 2011.
55. "Filling Up the House: Building an Appraisal Strategy for Curling Archives in Manitoba," (by Allan Neyedly), 2011.
54. "Archives, Willard Ireland, Regina v. White and Bob, and Calder v. the Attorney General of British Columbia, 1963-1973, and the Expansion of Aboriginal Rights in Canada," (by Anne Lindsay), 2011.
53. "The Archival Eye: New Ways for Archivists to Look at and Describe Photographs," (by Ian Keenan), 2011.
52. "Hitting the Right Note: Developing an Archival Appraisal Strategy for Musicking Records in Manitoba" (by Carmen Lowe), 2010.
51. "Participatory Archiving: Exploring a Collaborative Approach to Aboriginal Societal Provenance" (by Michelle Rydz), 2010.
50. "Rebel Collectors: Human Rights and Archives in Central America and the Human Rights Commission of El Salvador and the Resource Center of the Americas, 1978-2007" (by Graham Stinnett), 2010.
49. "Archives and Human Rights: Lessons from the Heiner Affair" (by Jonathan Nordland), 2010.
48. "Archives as a Cornerstone of Community Growth: Developing Community Archives in Brandon, Manitoba" (by Ian Richards), 2009.
47. "The Creation of Pictorial Order: Developing a Records Management System for Manitoba Hydro Corporate Photographs" (by Jenara Franklin), 2009.
46. "Reconnecting Mind and Matter: Materiality in Archival Theory and Practice" (by Ala Rekrut), 2009.
45. "Toward the Archives of Archives: The New Archival History, Accountability, and the Documentation of Archival Appraisal" (by Christy Morgan Henry), 2009.
44. "Coming Full Circle?: Aboriginal Archives in B.C. in Canadian and International Perspective" (by Rita-Sophia Mogyorosi), 2008.
43. "Memento Mori: An Archival Strategy for Documenting Mortality on the Canadian Frontier at Red Lake, Ontario, before 1950" (by John Richthammer), 2007.
42."'The Texture of the Everyday': Appraising the Values of Women's Diaries and Weblogs" (by Heather Beattie), 2007
41."Arbitrary Borders? New Partnerships for Cultural Heritage Siblings - Libraries, Archives and Museums: Creating Integrated Descriptive Systems" (by Katherine Timms), 2007
40."The Long and Short of IT: The International Development Research Centre as a Case Study for a Long-term Digital Preservation Strategy" (by Lori Podolsky Nordland), 2007
39."The Art of Description: Finding a Place for Works of Art in Archival Descriptive Standards and Practice" (by Blythe Koreen), 2006
38.“Franco-Manitoban Memory Online: ‘Au pays de Riel’ as a Case Study in Archival Public Programming”(by Diane Boyd), 2006
37.“Art and Archives: Theoretical and Practical Definitions of ‘Documentary Art’ in Canadian Archives” (by Rachelle Ross), 2006
36."Organizations, Organizational Theory, and Archival Appraisal Theory” (by Paula Warsaba), 2006
35.“Nature’s Memory: Building an Appraisal Strategy for Ontario Provinicial Parks, Algonquin Provincial Park as a Case Study” (by Charlotte Woodley), 2006
34.“Becoming Digital: The Challenges of Archiving Digital Photographs” (by Karen Simonson), 2006
33."Rethinking Archival Appraisal: Macroappraisal as a Technology for Cities" (by Cynthia Kent), 2005.
32."Archives in the Classroom: Reaching Out to Younger Canadians Through Archival Documents" (by Heather Pitcher), 2005
31."Writing Wrongs: Archival Theory, Therapeutic Writing, and the Proposed Child Abuse Survivor Archive at the University of Manitoba" (by Julianna Trivers), 2005.
30."'Every Requisite Information': Contextual Provenance in the Records of the Commissioner's Office of the Hudson's Bay Company, 1884-1910." (by Lisa Friesen), 2005.
29."Archives, Historical Climate Records, and the Climate Observations of Thomas Corcoran, Hudson's Bay Company, 1827-1841" (by Martin Comeau), 2005.
28."Drafting an Archival Blueprint for Engineering Records in Manitoba: Developing a Thematic Guide to Engineering Records" (by Brett Lougheed), 2005.
27."Coming of Age: Specialized Public Programming for Older Canadians" (by Crista Bradley), 2005.
26."Archives, Postmodernism and the Internet: The Return to Historical Narrative in Archival Public Programming" (by Scott Goodine), 2005.
25."Toward the New Genealogy: Genealogical Research in Archives and the Saskatchewan Genealogical Society,
1969-2004" (by Christie Woods), 2004.
24."A History of the City of Regina Archives, 1929-2004" (by Carey Isaak), 2004
23."Collecting Our Thoughts and Re-Collecting Our Stories: The Collection of Personal Records in Archival Institutions" (by Leah Sander), 2004
22."La situation des archives de communautés religieuses: Le cas des Soeurs Grises du Manitoba" (by Jacinthe Duval), 2004
21."Thinking Outside the Box: Re-Imagining Archival Description with the 'Series' System" (by Dan Davies), 2003
20."Photograph/Writing with Light: The Challenge to Archivists of Reading Photographs" (by Bronwen Quarry), 2003
19."Le service des archives du College universitaire de Saint-Boniface: son établissement et son avenir" (by Carole Barnabé), 2002
18."From Paper to Cyberspace: Changing Communication Technologies and the Implications for Personal Records Archivists" (by Karyn Taylor), 2002
17."Remapping Archives: Cartographic Archives in Theory and Practice at the Provincial Archives of Manitoba" (by Kara Quann), 2001
16."Going Public: A History of Public Programming at the Hudson's Bay Company Archives" (by Allison Gregor), 2001
15."Picture This: Hudson's Bay Company Calendar Images and Their Documentary Legacy, 1913-1970" (by Andrea Paci), 2000
14."'Guide' vs 'Gatekeeper': Information Rights Legislation and the Provincial Archives of Manitoba" (by Jacqueline Nicholls), 2000
13."Redrawing the Boundaries of Societal Memory: Introducing a Modified Macro-Appraisal Approach at the Great-West Life Assurance and the London Life Insurance Companies" (by Martha McLeod), 2000
12."Manitoba Mennonite Archives and Canadian Mennonite Collective Memory" (by Don Kroeker), 2000
11."Manitoba Court of Queen's Bench in Equity, 1872-1895: A Study in Legal Administration and Records" (by Sharon McCullough), 2000
10."'An Administered People': A Contextual Approach to the Study of Bureaucracy, Records-Keeping, and Records in the Canadian Department of Indian Affairs, 1755-1950" (by Brian Hubner), 2000
9."From Dusty Papers to Archival Treasures: Canadian Municipal Archives, the City of Winnipeg Archives, and the Records of Winnipeg City Council, 1874-1971" (by Sara Hemingway-Conway), 2000
8."Telling Stories Around the 'Electronic Campfire': The Use of Archives in Television Productions" (by Kathleen Epp), 1999
7."The Preservation Crisis and Beyond: A Recommendation to Microfilm the Textual Records of the Historical Responsibility Centre at the Provincial Archives of Manitoba" (by Calla Grabish), 1998
6."Archival Perspectives on the Evolution and Organizational Impact of E-Mail System Technologies" (by David Horky), 1998
5."Maintaining Our Documentary Heritage: The Challenge of Electronic Records Archives at the University of Manitoba" (by Mark Vajcner), 1997
4."The Value of Community-Based Ethnic Archives: A Resource in Development" (by Lisa Singer), 1997
3."Memos and Minutes: Arnold Heeney, the Cabinet War Committee and the Establishment of the Canadian Cabinet Secretariat During the Second World War" (by Brian Masschaele), 1995
2."An Archival Administrative History of the Northern Stores Department, Hudson's Bay Company, 1959-1987" (by Geraldine Alton Harris), 1994
1."'Custodians of a Great Inheritance': An Account of the Making of the Hudson's Bay Company Archives, 1920-1974" (by Deidre Simmons), 1994
Theses in Progress
Other thesis research under way includes the following topics: the archives of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada; rethinking appraisal and public programming and democratizing archives for the digital age; Indigenous archives and the inner city in Winnipeg; the archives of disability; digital archives preservation; graduate archival education in the Philippines; archival records and the First World War; literary archives and literary life in Canada; the role of photo-archivists at the then National Archives of Canada in pioneering the study of the history of photography in Canada; CBC’s Archives; archives and digitization; and archives and Indigenous language preservation.