- Psychology and Literature
- Short Fiction
- Digital Culture
Research and Teaching Fields:
Literature and computing, digital humanities, creative writing, literary theory, literature of crime, British literature and culture, literature and affect, visual culture, cognitive approaches to literature, philosophy of mind, philosophical aesthetics.
- Tomorrowless. Virtual graphic novel. Winnipeg: Electric Monk Media/Alchemical Press. 2015. Forthcoming.
- Automatic World. Toronto: Doubleday, 2009. Reprinted in trade paperback by Anchor Books, October 2010.
- Everything Breathed. London: Granta, 1999.
- Strange Comforts. Gutter Press: Toronto, 1998.
Chapters in edited books, collections and refereed journals:
- “Diaspora.” The Southampton Review. Spring/Summer 2015.
- “Engaging Machines: Experience, Empathy, and the Modern Museum.” (with Adam Muller and Andrew Woolford). First author. The Idea of a Human Rights Museum. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 2015. (5466 words, forthcoming 2015)
- “Trophy Season: Literary Prizes and Cultural Institutions.” TOPIA: Canadian Journal of Cultural Studies. 2015. Forthcoming.
- “‘An Apartment So Bedizzened:’ Edgar Allan Poe’s Superperceivers.” La Questione Romantica. 2012. 43-58.
- ----. Revised and expanded version reprinted in Romantic Crime Fiction and the Sublime. Monte Carlo: LiberFaber, 2014.
- “Archaeology.” Short story. Reprinted in The Winnipeg Review. April 2011.
- “Cal.” Prairie Fire: Home Places 3. April 2009.
- “The Familiars.” Orkney: Imagined Futures. Stromness: Brae Editions, 2009.
- “Whispering Blame.” Proceedings of What Lies Beneath: The Underworld 1850-2000. Eds. Clare Horrocks et al. London: U of London P, 2005.
- “Islander.” Northwards. (Summer, 2003).
- “Limpet.” Anonymous Juice. (Vol. 3, 2002).
- “Skin Rain.” Paperplates. (Vol. 4.1, 2000).
- “Building Marrakesh.” Included in the anthology Dreaming Home: Stories by New Writers. Toronto: Paperplates Editions, 2000. 72-88.
Keynote and invited papers:
- “Circling to the Left in the Mist: Pass Notes on John Rae’s Nature Letters.” Invited address, Orkney Book Festival, May 2013.
- “Immoderate Icarus: Attention and Interpretation in Munro and James.” Invited paper/Special address. School of English, Communication and Philosophy, Cardiff University, April 2011.
- Invited paper and public reading. English Language Artistry. Manitoba Association of Teachers of English Conference. Winnipeg, October 2009.
- “Nine Ways of Looking at Reading.” Keynote address. Manitoba Libraries Conference 2009: Future Generations, Evolving Services. Winnipeg, May 2009.
- “Complex Creativity: Cognition and Literary Process.” Invited paper. University of British Colombia Okanagan, May 2008.
- “Attention.” Invited paper. University of New Brunswick Fredericton, February 2008.
- “‘Virtually Representing a Group’s Destruction: Reflections on Technology and Method.” International Association of Genocide Scholars Annual Meeting. Yerevan, Armenia, July 8-12, 2015.
- “Animating the Archive: Digital Technology, Traumatic Experience, and Canada’s IRS Legacy.” With Andrew Woolford. The Knight Symposium. The Archive and Reconciliation: Re-Membering the Residential School Experience. University of Manitoba, October, 2014.
- “Engaging Machines: Experience, Empathy and the Modern Museum.” With Adam Muller and Andrew Woolford. The Idea of a Human Rights Museum: Symposium and Workshop. February 1-3, 2013.
- “Brave New Words: Digital Culture and the New Narrative.” Canadian Creative Writers and Writing Programs Conference. Creative Writing in the 21st Century: Research and Practice. Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, May 2012.
- “Embodying Empathy.” Beyond Testimony and Trauma: Oral History in the Aftermath of Mass Violence. Montreal, Concordia University, March 2012.
- “Spatializing Suffering.” The Idea of a Human Rights Museum. Centre for Human Rights Research Initiative, University of Manitoba, October 2011.
- “Impossible Readings: Transparency and Opacity in Poe’s Urban Imaginary.” Capital Crimes: Reading and Writing Crime and Cities. Crime Narratives in Context Research Group. Cardiff University, October 2009.
- “Murder Most Ordinary: The Attribution of Blame in the Newgate Calendar.” Media and Communication. Canadian Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies XXXIIIrd Conference. Winnipeg, October 2007.
- “Naming and Knowledge: Historical Truth and the End of Narrativism.” With Dr. Adam Muller. Canadian Comparative Literature Association Conference. Saskatoon, May 2007.
- “Open-Ended: Critical Theory and the New Textuality.” Computing and Literature Panel, MLA. Washington, DC, December 2005.
- “Hand to Mouth: Gossip as Utility.” Victorian Criminalities Conference. Exeter University, April 2005.
- “Fiction and Emotions.” Art and Emotion Panel and Public Forum. Winnipeg Art Gallery, March 2005.
- “Difficulty.” Institute for the Humanities. University of Manitoba, March 2005.
- “The Men of the Crowd: Transparency and Opacity in the Victorian City.” City Limits Conference. University of Manitoba, April 2004.
- “Sweet Sensation: Pollution and the English Novel.” Infection and Contamination Conference. Lancaster University, July 2002.
- “Whispering Blame: Gossip & the Whodunit.” What Lies Beneath: The Underworld 1850-2000. Edge Hill College, July 2001.MAJOR HONOURS AND AWARDS
Major Honours and Awards:
Prizes and Awards:
- Finalist, Manitoba Reads, Automatic World, 2012
- Nominated, University 1 Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Manitoba, 2012
- Manitoba Arts Council Writers “A” Grant, 2010-11
- Rh Award for Outstanding Contributions to Research and Scholarship (Creative Works), 2010
- Finalist, Margaret Laurence Award for Fiction, Automatic World, 2010
- Finalist, McNally Robinson Book of the Year, Automatic World, 2010
- Finalist, 2009 CBC Literary Awards (short fiction)
- Arts Program Development Fund Grant, 2009
- Faculty of Arts Outstanding Achievement Award, 2009
- UMFA Merit Award for Research, 2009
- University of Manitoba Creative Works Grant, 2007
University of Manitoba Arts Program Development Fund Grant, 2007
Grants and Fellowships:
- Scottish Arts Writing Fellowship, 2002-2003
- Canada Council for the Arts Emerging Writer’s Grant, 2002
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Partnership Development Grant. Co-applicant (Principal Investigator 2015-16). $195,657
- Project: Embodying Empathy: Fostering Historical Knowledge and Caring through a Virtual Indian Residential School.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Partnership Development Grant. Collaborator. $198,764.00.
- Project:The Affect Project: Memory, Aesthetics, and Ethics
- Conference Travel Grant, Faculty of Arts, University of Manitoba
- Travel Grant, Faculty of Arts, University of Manitoba 2005
- Conference Travel Grant, Faculty of Arts, University of Manitoba
- New London (UK) Writer’s Award for Fiction (Automatic World manuscript)
- Banff Centre for the Arts Scholarship Canada Council for the Arts Emerging Writer’s Grant
- Commonwealth Fellowship, 1996-2000
- SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship, 1996-2000
Teaching and Residencies:
- BBC Radio 4 Write Out Loud Bursary,
- London Arts Board Bursary
- Travel Grant, Cardiff University
- Banff Centre for the Arts Scholarship
- Solvay Fellowship, McGill University
- Humanities Research Grant, McGill University
- Max Binz Major Fellowship, McGill University
- Mary Keenan Scholarship, McGill University
- Dean's Honour List, McGill University, 1991-3
- James McGill Award, McGill University
- Visiting Scholar. University of Bologna, July 2014.
- Associate Professor. University of Manitoba, 2010-present.
- Assistant Professor. University of Manitoba, 2004-2010.
- Visiting Fellow, Banff Institute for New Media, 2008-09.
- Resident, Banff Leighton Studios, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
- Tutor. The Short Story. Cromarty Book Festival, Scotland, 2003.
- Writing Fellow. Scottish Arts Council. Orkney, 2002-2003.
- Instructor. Twentieth-Century Literature. University of Manitoba, 2002.
- Instructor. Writing and Composition. University of Manitoba, 2002.
- Course Assistant. Modern British Literature. Cardiff University, 1998.
- Course Assistant. Introduction to Crime and Detective Fiction. Cardiff University, 1997.
- Research Assistant. McGill University, 1993-1995.
- Teaching Assistant. Critical Approaches to Cultural Studies. McGill University, 1992-1993.
- Associate Professor. University of Manitoba, 2004-present.