- Cinephilia (Grad course)
- Film and Affect (Grad course)
- Film and the City
- Teen Gross-Out Comedies
Areas of Specialization:
Film and emotion; audience studies; cinema history and cultural memory; narrative rhetoric in fiction and film; melodrama; Henry James; adaptation
Recent publications and other undertakings:
- “Gene Hackman in The Conversation.” Forthcoming in Murray Pomerance, ed. Great Performances in American Film. Edinburgh: Edinburgh UP, 2017.
- “Becoming Ordinary: Fifty Years of Arts and Culture in Canadian Dimension.” Canada Since 1960: A People’s History: A Left Perspective on 50 Years of Politics, Economics and Culture. Toronto: James Lorimer, 2016: 202-229.
- Host of “A Conversation with filmmaker Mira Nair.” Winnipeg Arts Council “Art Matters” Series. West End Cultural Centre, April 14, 2016.
- Regular Co-host, with James Borsa, of “Ultra-Sonic Film” on UMFM Radio.
- “Composing America.” Review Essay. The Henry James Review 35.2 (Summer 2014): 191-98
- Co-applicant, SSHRC Partner Development Grant: “The Affect Project: Memory, Aesthetics, Ethics.” Co-Applicant with Arlene Young (PI) and Jason Leboe-McGowan (2012-2015)
- “Secrets, Lies, and ‘Virtuous Attachments’”: The Ambassadors and The 39 Steps Alfred Hitchcock and Henry James: The Men Who Knew Too Much. Griffin, Susan and Alan Nadel, eds. Oxford University Press, 2012
- “Noting Performance in Three Films” Theorizing Film Acting. Taylor, Aaron, ed. Routledge, 2012
- “The Ethics of Murder: Trial as Performance in Maternal Melodrama.” Theatricality in Film. Loiselle, Andre and Jeremy Maron, eds. Toronto University Press, 2012: 102-115
- Co-editor, with George Melnyk, The Gendered Screen: Canadian Women Filmmakers. Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2010
- Member, Editorial Board Canadian Journal of Film Studies 2006-2012
- “Alice in the Cities: The Uses of Disorientation.” Cinephile: The University of British Columbia’s Film Journal, Special Issue on “The Scene.” 5.2 (Summer 2009): 6-10.
- “Odd Cult Out: Cinema by any ‘other’ name.” FSAC Conference, Calgary, June, 2016.
- “The Acousmatic City: The Sounds of Summertime.” Society for Cinema and Media Studies Conference, March 30-April 3, 2016.
- “Possessing James: Adaptation, Haunting, and Truffaut’s The Green Room.” Film Studies Association of Canada, Brock University, May 27-29, 2014.
- “Becoming Ordinary: Fifty Years of Arts and Culture in Canadian Dimension,” Society for Socialist Studies, Brock University, May 27, 2014.
- “Guilty Pleasures and the Pleasures of Guilt in Marleen Gorris’ A Question of Silence,” ECREA Conference, Mimar Sinan University, Istanbul, 2012
- “Intimate Affects of Film Spectatorship,” SERCIA Conference on Cinema and Intimacy, University of Bourgogne, Dijon, 2012
- “Davenne, Quint, and the ‘turn’ of Transformation in Truffaut’s The Green Room. Transforming Henry James: International Henry James Conference, Rome, 2011
- “’Who Knows the Occupied City? Humour as Thirdspace in Divine Intervention.” Society for Cinema and Media Studies, New Orleans, 2011
- “Women, Liminality, and ‘unhomeliness” in the films of Mina Shum.” Film Studies Association of Canada, Ottawa, 2009