Through the generosity of their son, an award is being made available in the Faculty of Arts to support graduate studies and research into the causes of human conflict and the processes of peace building in the name of Berdie and Irvin Cohen.
An award will be given annually to a graduate student who:
Selection of the award recipients will be made by a committee composed of the Dean of the Faculty of Arts (or designate) as chair, the donor, two faculty members in the Faculty of Arts (one each from a Social Science and Humanities department) and one faculty member in the Arthur V. Mauro Centre for Peace and Justice.
Deadline for applications is January 31st. A completed application form with all of the required attachments listed below must be submitted to the Associate Dean in the Faculty of Arts (C/O 307 Fletcher Argue Building).
In addition to the application form, applicants are required to submit:
1. a certified true copy of undergraduate transcripts;
2. a certified true copy of the graduate transcripts (where available);
3. a letter of support from the thesis/dissertation supervisor(s), department head, or departmental supervisor of graduate studies;
4. a two-page maximum summary of their thesis or dissertation proposal;
5. a one-page description of the intended use of the award; and
6. a budget outlining costs related specifically to tuition (including ancillary fees) and research - see space provided on application form.
Note: Recipients are also required to submit a report to the Dean of the Faculty of Arts on the research and/or travel supported by the award upon completion of the academic year in which the award was made. The report should include how the scholarship was used, how it impacted the research and the applicant, etc.