Mr. Allan Waisman (B.Arch./50), with a contribution from the Manitoba Scholarship and Bursary Initiative, has established an endowment fund of $100,000 to support graduate scholarships for Canadian Indigenous students in the Faculty of Architecture.
Allan Waisman is the founder of Waisman Dewar Grout Carter, now called Architectura. The firm is one of the largest architectural and planning firms in Canada. Its work in Canada, the United States and Europe emphasizes unique design solutions that are based on a sensitivity to people, the environment and the needs of the client. Mr. Waisman has also been active with many professional and community commitments across
Canada and the U.S.
Each year, the available annual income from the fund will be used to offer one or more scholarships to Canadian Indigenous graduate students who:
(1) are Canadian Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, Inuit);
(2) are enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Graduate Studies in any graduate program offered by the Faculty of Architecture;
(3) have achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.0 based on the previous 60 credit hours (or equivalent) of study;
(4) have a strong record of community work, volunteerism or other related activity in an Indigenous organization or community;
In order to demonstrate how they meet criterion (4), candidates must submit a written statement (maximum 250 words) outlining their relevant experiences.
Applicants must also include with their application a letter addressing the following questions:
1. What Indigenous community are you connected with?
2. How do you identify with that community?
3. How does that identity carry through in your design work?
4. What ways do you plan to work with your community?
*The value of the award may be divided between multiple applicants.
Application Deadline: September 27, 2019 4:00 pm
Applications should be submitted to:
Room 212, John A. Russell Building
PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR STUDENT NUMBER AND DEGREE PROGRAM.
Don't forget to Thank your Donor.
2018 - 2019 Evan Tremblay,
& Courtney Allary
2017 - 2018 Evan Tremblay & Joseph
2016 - 2017 Not Offered
2015 - 2016 Krista Goodman
2014 - 2015 Not Offered
2013 - 2014 Not Offered
2012 - 2013 Shawn Bailey
2011 - 2012 Bret Mack & Evan Jameson
2010 - 2011 Bret Mack, Evan Jameson
& Nicolas Bell
2009 - 2010 Bret Mack & Nicolas Bell
2008 - 2009 Rachelle Lemieux