Department of Food and Human Nutritional Sciences
W575 Duff Roblin Building
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada
Phone No.: (204) 258-1361
Fax No.: (204) 237-4018
Additional webpage info: http://www/sbrc.ca/taylor/
Dr. Taylor investigates the effects of various dietary components on obesity, insulin resistance and vascular health using animal models and human studies. Specific dietary components she is researching include omega-3 fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid, and plant-based bioactives in crops such as buckwheat and pulses. She is also researching the effects of zinc on antioxidant and immune defense.
Ph.D. (Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph)
B.H. Ecol. (Department of Foods and Nutrition, University of Manitoba)
1. Perrault R, Omelchenko A, Taylor CG and Zahradka P (2019) Establishing the interchangeability of arterial stiffness but not endothelial function parameters in healthy individuals. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders, in press (doi: 10/1186/s12872-019-1167-3).
2. Hong L, Zahradka P, Cordero-Monroy L, Wright B and Taylor CG (2019) Dietary docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) operate by different mechanisms to modulate hepatic steatosis and hyperinsulemia in fa/fa Zucker rats. Nutrients 11(4) pii:E917.
3. Du Y, Taylor CG and Zahradka P (2019) Effects of dietary fatty acids on endothelial cells: Implications for vascular function modulation. Nutr Rev pii: nuz026.
4. Cayer LGJ, Mendonça AM, Pauls SD, Winter T, Leng S, Taylor CG, Zahradka P and Aukema HM (2019) Adipose tissue oxylipin profiles vary by anatomical site and are altered by dietary linoleic acid in rats. Prost Leukotr Essent Fatty Acids 141:24-32.
5. Bowen KJ, Kris-Etherton PM, West SG, Fleming JA, Connelly PW, Lamarche B, Couture P, Jenkins DJA, Taylor CG, Zahradka P, Hammad SS, Sihag J, Chen X, Guay V, Maltais-Giguere J, Perera D, Wilson A, Castillo San Juan S and Jones PJH (2019) Diets enriched with conventional or high-oleic acid canola oils lower atherogenic lipids and lipoproteins compared to a diet with a Western fatty acid profile in adults with central adiposity. J Nutr 149:471-478.
6. Ryland D, Zahradka P, Taylor CG, Bell R and Aliani M (2018) Acceptability of pulse fortified foods by two groups: Participants in a clinical trial and participants in a consumer acceptability panel. Foods 7,129.
7. Ramdath DD, Wolever TMS, Ryland D, Siow YL, Hawke A, Taylor C, Zahradka P and Aliani M (2018) Effect of processing on postprandial glycemic response and consumer acceptability of lentil containing food items. Foods 7,76.
8. Du Y, Taylor CG, Aukema HM and Zahradka P (2018) Importance of extracellular matrix and growth state for the EA.hy926 endothelial cell response to polyunsaturated fatty acids. PLoS ONE 13(5):e0197613.
9. Pauls SD, Rodway LA, Winter T, Taylor CG, Zahradka P and Aukema HM (2018) Anti-inflammatory effects of α-linolenic acid in M1-like macrophages are associated with enhanced production of oxylipins from α-linolenic and linoleic acid. J Nutr Biochem 57:121-129.
10. Clark JL, Taylor CG and Zahradka P (2018) Rebelling against the (insulin) resistance: A review of the proposed insulin-sensitizing actions of soybeans, chickpeas, and their bioactive compounds. Nutrients 10(4) pii:E434 (PMID: 29601521)
11. Hanson MG, Zahradka P, Taylor CG and Aliani M (2018) Identification of urinary metabolites with potential blood pressure lowering effects in lentil-fed spontaneously hypertensive rats. Eur J Nutr 57:297-308.
12. Medonça AM, Cayer LGJ, Pauls SD, Winter T, Leng S, Taylor CG, Zahradka P and Aukema HM (2018) Distinct effects of dietary ALA, EPA and DHA on rat adipose oxylipins vary by depot location and sex. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 129:13-24.
13. Datar J, Regassa A, Kim WK, Taylor CG, Zahradka P and Suh M (2017) Lipid metabolism is closely associated with normal testicular growth based on global transcriptome profiles in normal and underdeveloped testis of obese Zucker (fa/fa) rats. Lipids 52:951-960.
14. Yeganeh A, Zahradka P and Taylor CG (2017) Trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic (t10, C12-CLA) treatment and caloric restriction differentially affect adipocyte cell turnover in obese and lean mice. J Nutr Biochem 49:123-132.
15. Clark J, Taylor CG and Zahradka P (2017) Exploring the cardio-metabolic relevance of T cadherin: A pleiotropic adiponectin receptor. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets 17:200-206.
16. Zahradka P, Neumann S, Aukema H and Taylor CG (2017) Adipocyte lipid storage and adipokine production are modulated by lipoxygenase-derived oxylipins generated from 18-carbon fatty acids. Intl J Biochem & Cell Biol 88:23-30.
17. Baldwin A, Zahradka P, Weighell W, Guzman RP and Taylor CG (2017) Feasibility and tolerability of daily pulse consumption in individuals with peripheral artery disease. Can J Diet Pract Res 78:187-191.
18. Grant J, Ryland D, Isaak CK, Prashar S, Siow YL, Taylor CG and Aliani M (2017) Effect of vitamin D3 fortification and Saskatoon berry syrup addition on the flavor profile, acceptability and antioxidant properties of rooibos tea (Aspalathus linearis). J Food Sci 82:807-817.
19. Thandapilly, SJ, Raj P, Louis XL, Perera D, Yamanagedara P, Zahradka P, Taylor CG and Netticadan T (2016) Canola oil rich in oleic acid improves diastolic heart function in diet-induced obese rats. J Physiol Sci 67:425-430.
20. Loader TB, Taylor CG, Zahradka P and Jones PJH (2017) Chlorogenic acid from coffee beans: Evaluating the evidence for a blood pressure regulating health claim. Nutr Rev 75:114-133.
21. Devassy JG, Wojcik JL, Ibrahim NHM, Zahradka P, Taylor CG and Aukema HM (2017) Mixed compared with single source proteins in high protein diets affect kidney structure and function differentially in obese fa/fa Zucker rats. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 42:135-141.
22. Hanson MG, Taylor CG, Wu Y, Anderson H and Zahradka P (2016) Lentil consumption reduces resistance artery remodeling and restores arterial compliance in the spontaneously hypertensive rats. J Nutr Biochem 37:30-38.
23. Yeganeh A, Taylor CG, Tworek L, Poole J and Zahradka P (2016) Trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) interferes with lipid droplet accumulation during 3T3-L1 preadipocyte differentiation. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 76:39-50.
24. Defries D, Taylor CG and Zahradka P (2016) GLUT3 is present in Clone 9 liver cells and translocates to the plasma membrane in response to insulin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 477:433-439.
25. Wojcik JL, Aukema H M, Zahradka P and Taylor CG (2016) Effects of high protein diets on metabolic syndrome parameters. Curr Opin Food Sci 24:123-131.
26. Yeganeh A, Taylor CG, Poole J, Tworek L and Zahradka P (2016) Trans10, cis12 conjugated linoleic acid inhibits 3T3-L1 adipocyte adipogenesis by elevating β catenin levels. Biochim Biophys Acta 1861:363-370.
27. Devassy JG, Caligiuri SPB, Mayengbam S, Ibrahim NHM, Zahradka P, Taylor CG, House JD and Aukema HM (2015) Dietary restriction in moderately obese rats improves body size and glucose handling without the renal and hepatic alterations observed with a high protein diet. App Physiol Nutr Metab 40:334-342.
28. Wojcik J, Devassy JG, Wu Y, Zahradka P, Taylor CG and Aukema HM (2016) Protein source in a high protein diet modulates reductions in insulin resistance and hepatic steatosis in fa/fa Zucker rats. Obesity 24:123-131.
29. Grant J, Whitehurst K, Taylor CG, Zahradka P and Aliani M (2015) Urinary metabolomics profile of genetically obese rats using liquid chromatography quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry. JJ Biomark 1:15.
30. Clark JL, Zahradka P and Taylor CG (2015) Efficacy of flavanoids in the management of high blood pressure. Nutr Rev 73:799-822.
31. Ames N, Blewett H, Storsley J, Thandapilly SJ, Zahradka P and Taylor C (2015) A double-blind randomized controlled trial testing the effect of a barley product containing varying amounts and types of fibre on the post-prandial glucose response of healthy volunteer. Br J Nutr 113:1373-1383.
32. Stringer D, Zahradka P and Taylor CG (2015) Glucose transporters: Cellular links to hyperglycemia in insulin resistance and diabetes. Nutr Rev 73:140-154.
33. Zhan Y, Shi H, Caligiuri SP, Wu Y, DeClercq V, Taylor CG, Zahradka P, Ogborn MR and Aukema HM (2015) Trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid worsens renal pathology and alters cyclooxygenase derived oxylipins in obesity-associated nephropathy. J Nutr Biochem 26:130-137.
34. Perrault R, Taylor CG and Zahradka P (2015) The stability of select biomarkers in frozen plasma over time: An evaluation of a low-volume sample analyzer. Clin Chem Lab Med 53:e97-e100.
35. Rech L, Premecz S, Jassal DJ, Zahradka P and Taylor C (2015) Dietary analysis of full marathon runners over 50 years of age: A retrospective study. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 55:615-620.
36. Jing M, Rech L, Wu Y, Goltz D, Taylor CG and House JD (2015) Effects of zinc deficiency and zinc supplementation on homocysteine levels and related enzyme expression in rats. J Trace Elem Med Biol 30:77-82.
37. Zahradka P and Taylor CG (2015) Understanding adipocyte types and adipose tissue dynamics for obesity management. Clin Lipidol 10:23-26.
38. Clark J, Rech L, Chaity N, Sihag J, Taylor CG and Aliani M (2015) Possible deleterious hormonal changes associated with low sodium diets. Nutr Rev 73:22-35.
39. Caligiuri SPB, Blydt-Hansen T, Love K, Gregoire M, Taylor CG, Zahradka P and Aukema HM (2014) Evidence for the use of glomerulomegaly as a surrogate marker of glomerular damage and for alpha-linolenic acid rich oils in the treatment of early obesity-related glomerulopathy in a diet-induced rodent model of obesity. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 39:951-959.
40. Enns JE, Yeganeh A, Zarychanski R, Abou-Setta M, Friesen C, Zahradka P and Taylor CG (2014) The impact of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on the incidence of cardiovascular events and complications in preipheral arterial disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Cardiovasc Discord 14:1-10.
41. Blewett HJ, Mohanakumar SK, Rech L, Rector ES and Taylor CG (2014) The reduced proportion of splenic T-cells in the zinc-deficient growing rat is not due to increased susceptibility to apoptosis. Immunobiology 219:602-610.
42. Enns J, Zahradka P, Guzman RP, Baldwin A, Foot B and Taylor CG (2014) Randomized controlled trial to evaluate the effect of canola oil on blood vessel function in peripheral arterial disease: Rationale and design of the Canola-PAD study. J Clin Trials 6:117-125.
43. Enns JE, Hanke D, Park A, Zahradka P and Taylor CG (2014) Diets high in mono- and polyunsaturated fatty acids decrease fatty acid synthase protein levels in adipose tissue but do not alter other markers of adipose function and inflammation in diet-induced obese rats. Prost Leukotri Essent Fatty Acids 90:77-84.
44. Hanson MG, Zahradka P and Taylor CG (2014) Lentil based diets attenuate hypertension and large artery remodeling in the spontaneously hypertensive rat. Br J Nutr 111:690-698.