University of Manitoba
Department of Human Nutritional Sciences
W567 Duff Roblin Building
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada
Phone No.: (204) 474-9555
Fax No.: (204) 474-7593
1996 Ph.D. University of Guelph
1985 M.Sc. Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria
1982 B.Sc. University of Lagos, Nigeria
Areas of Specialization:
- Protein Chemistry
- Food enzymology
- Functional foods and nutraceuticals
- QSAR of bioactive peptides
Research Interests: Dr. Aluko’s work focuses on the production of bioactive peptides through enzymatic hydrolysis of food proteins. Of special interest are the antihypertensive, antioxidant, anticholinesterase and antiproliferative peptides. In addition to optimized enzymatic release of peptides, his research program also investigates their structure-function properties using in vitro, in vivo and chemometric approaches.
Protein Chemistry: Structure-function properties of plant seed proteins; enzymatic modifications to improve protein functionality; characterization of protein-stabilized emulsions.
Functional foods and nutraceuticals: Isolation, characterization and biological activity of peptides derived from enzymatic hydrolysis of food proteins.
Aluko, RE. 2012. Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals. Springer Science + Business Media, LLC: New York. 155 pages.
Recent Articles in Refereed Publications (past 3 yrs)
Click here to check full list of publications and citation records
200. Zhang C, Alashi AM, Singh N, Chelikani P, Aluko RE. 2019. Glycated beef protein hydrolysates as sources of bitter taste modifiers. Nutrients
, 11, 2166.
199. Chotphruethipong L, Aluko RE, Benjakul S. 2019. Enhanced Asian sea bass skin defatting using porcine lipase with the aid of pulsed electric field pretreatment and vacuum impregnation. Process Biochem.
198. Onuh JO, Aluko RE. (2019). Metabolomics as a tool to study the mechanism of action of bioactive protein hydrolysates and peptides: A review of current literature. Trends Food Sci Technol.
197. Cermeño M, Connolly A, O'Keeffe MB, Flynn C, Alashi AM, Aluko RE, FitzGerald RJ. 2019. Identification of bioactive peptides from brewers’ spent grain and contribution of Leu/Ile to bioactive potency. J. Funct. Foods
196. Aderinola TA, Fagbemi TN, Enujiugha VN, Alashi AM, Nwachukwu ID, Aluko RE. 2019. Antihypertensive and antioxidant properties of Moringa oleifera
seed enzymatic protein hydrolysate and ultrafiltration fractions. Curr Top Nutruaceutical Res
. In press
195. Djibril Moussa MI, Alashi AM, Sossa-Vihotogbe CNA, Akponikpe PBI, Baco MN, Djenontin AJ, Aluko RE, Akissoé NH. 2019. Fertilizer micro-dosing and harvesting time of indigenous leafy vegetables affect in vitro antioxidant activities. J. Food Bioact.
194. Jaggupilli A, Howard R, Aluko RE, Chelikani P. 2019. Advanced glycation end-products can activate or block bitter taste receptors. Nutrients
, 11, 1317.
193. Awosika TO, Aluko RE. 2019. Enzymatic pea protein hydrolysates are active trypsin and chymotrypsin inhibitors. Foods,
192. Odunlade TV, Famuwagun AA, Orekoya OO, Taiwo KA, Gbadamosi SO, Oyedele DJ, Aluko RE, Adebooye OC. Development of maize ogi powder fortified with polyphenolic rich extract from fluted pumpkin leaves. Acta Hortic.
191. Chotphruethipong L, Aluko RE, Benjakul S. 2019. Effect of pulsed electric field-assisted process in combination with porcine lipase on defatting of seabass skin. J. Food Sci.
190. Malomo SA, Aluko RE. 2019. Kinetics of acetylcholinesterase inhibition by hemp seed protein-derived peptides. J. Food Biochem
. 43, e12897.
189. Cao X, Liang J, Aluko RE, Thiyam‐Holländer U. 2019. In situ oxidation of canola meal sinapic acid by horseradish peroxidase (type II) and tyrosinase. J. Food Biochem.
188. Djibril Moussa MI, Alashi AM, Sossa-Vihotogbe CNA, Akponikpe PBI, Djenontin AJ, Baco MN, Akissoé NH, Aluko RE. 2019. Inhibition of renin-angiotensin system enzymes by leafy vegetables polyphenol extracts related to fertilizer micro-dosing and harvest time. Acta Hortic
. 1238, 73-80.
187. Olarewaju OA, Alashi AM, Aluko RE. 2019. Trypsin inhibitory activity of aqueous extracts from Amaranthus viridis
, Solanum macrocarpon
, and Telfairia occidentalis
vegetable leaves. Acta Hortic.
186. Chotphruethipong L, Aluko RE, Benjakul S. 2019. Hydrolyzed collagen from porcine lipase-defatted seabass skin: Antioxidant, fibroblast cell proliferation and collagen production activities. J. Food Biochem.
185. Oluwagunwa OA, Alashi AM, Aluko RE. 2019. Solanum Macrocarpon
leaf extracts reduced blood pressure and heart rate after oral administration to spontaneously hypertensive rats. Curr. Top Nutraceutical Res.
184. Fu Y, Therkildsen M, Aluko RE, Lametsch R. 2019. Exploration of collagen recovered from animal by-products as a precursor of bioactive peptides: Successes and challenges. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr.
183. Nwachukwu ID, Alashi AM, Zahradka PC, Aluko RE. 2019. Transport, bioavailability, safety and calmodulin-dependent phosphodiesterase-inhibitory properties of flaxseed-derived bioactive peptides. J. Agric. Food Chem
. 67, 1429−1436.
182. Nwachukwu ID, Aluko RE. 2019. Structural and functional properties of food protein-derived antioxidant peptides. J. Food Biochem.
181. Awosika TO, Aluko RE. 2019. Inhibition of the in vitro activities of α-amylase, α-glucosidase and pancreatic lipase by yellow field pea (Pisum Sativum L.
) protein hydrolysates. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol.
180. Aderinola TA, Fagbemi TN, Enujiugha VN, Alashi AM, Aluko RE. 2019. In-vitro antihypertensive and antioxidative properties of alcalase-derived Moringa oleifera seed globulin hydrolysate and its membrane fractions. J. Food Proc. Preserv.
179. Marie GCU, Perreault V, Henaux L, Carnovale V, Aluko RE, Marette A, Doyen A, Bazinet L. (2019). Impact of a high hydrostatic pressure pretreatment on the separation of bioactive peptides from flaxseed protein hydrolysates by electrodialysis with ultrafiltration membranes. Sep. Purif. Technol.
178. Aderinola TA, Fagbemi TN, Enujiugha VN, Alashi AM, Aluko RE. 2019. In-vitro antihypertensive and antioxidative properties of trypsin-derived Moringa oleifera
seed globulin hydrolysate and its membrane fractions. Food Sci. Nutr.
177. Alashi AM, Taiwo KA, Oyedele D, Adebooye OC, Aluko RE. 2019. Polyphenol composition and antioxidant properties of vegetable leaf-fortified bread. J. Food Biochem.
176. Nwachukwu ID, Aluko RE. 2019. A systematic evaluation of various methods for quantifying food protein hydrolysate peptides. Food Chem.
175. Aluko RE. 2019. Food protein-derived renin-inhibitory peptides: in vitro and in vivo properties. J. Food Biochem
. 43, e12648.
174. Budseekoad S, Yupanqui CT, Alashi AM, Aluko RE, Youravong W. 2019. Anti-allergic activity of mung bean (Vigna radiata
(L.) Wilczek) protein hydrolysates produced by enzymatic hydrolysis using non-gastrointestinal and gastrointestinal enzymes. J. Food Biochem
. 43, e12674.
173. Acham IO, Ukeyima MT, Ahemen S, Girgih AT, Aluko RE. 2018. In vitro
antioxidant properties of mango powder produced from blends of Brokin
cultivars fortified with yellow pea protein hydrolysate. Am. J. Food Nutr.
172. Aderinola TA, Fagbemi TN, Enujiugha VN, Alashi AM, Aluko RE. 2018. Amino acid composition and antioxidant properties of Moringa oleifera
seed protein isolate and enzymatic hydrolysates. Heliyon
, 4, e00877.
171. Ijarotimi SO, Malomo SA, Alashi AM, Nwachukwu ID, Fagbemi TN, Osundahunsi OF, Aluko RE. 2018. Antioxidant and antihypertensive activities of wonderful cola (Buchholzia coriacea
) seed protein and enzymatic protein hydrolysates. J. Food Bioact
. 3, 133-143.
170. Olagunju AI, Omoba OS, Enujiugha VN, Alashi AM, Aluko RE. 2018. Pigeon pea enzymatic protein hydrolysates and ultrafiltration peptide fractions as potential sources of antioxidant peptides. LWT Food Sci. Technol
. 97, 269-278.
169. Olagunju AI, Omoba OS, Enujiugha VN, Aluko RE. 2018. Development of value-added nutritious crackers with high antidiabetic properties from blends of acha (Digitaria exilis
) and blanched pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan
) flours. Food Sci. Nutr.
168. Olagunju AI, Omoba OS, Enujiugha VN, Alashi AM, Aluko RE. 2018. Antioxidant properties, ACE/renin inhibitory activities of pigeon pea hydrolysates and effects on systolic blood pressure of spontaneously hypertensive rats. Food Sci. Nutr.
167. Budseekoad S, Yupanqui CT, Sirinupong N, Alashi AM, Aluko RE, Youravong W. 2018. Structural and functional characterization of calcium and iron-binding peptides from mung bean protein hydrolysate. J. Funct. Foods.
166. Zhang C, Alashi AM, Singh N, Liu K, Chelikani P, Aluko RE. 2018. Beef protein-derived peptides as bitter taste receptor T2R4 blockers. J. Agric. Food Chem.
165. Alashi AM, Blanchard CL, Mailer RJ, Agboola SO, Mawson AJ, Aluko RE. 2018. Influence of enzymatic hydrolysis, pH and storage temperature on the emulsifying properties of canola protein isolate and hydrolysates. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol.
164. Olarewaju OA, Alashi AM, Aluko RE. 2018. Antihypertensive effect of aqueous polyphenol extracts of Amaranthus viridis
and Telfairia occidentalis
leaves in spontaneously hypertensive rats. J. Food Bioact.
163. Olarewaju OA, Alashi AM, Taiwo KA, Oyedele D, Adebooye OC, Aluko RE. 2018. Influence of nitrogen fertilizer micro-dosing on phenolic content, antioxidant and anticholinesterase properties of aqueous extracts of three tropical leafy vegetables. J. Food Biochem.
162. Alashi AM, Taiwo KA, Oyedele D, Adebooye OC, Aluko RE. 2018. Antihypertensive properties of aqueous extracts of vegetable leaf-fortified bread after oral administration to spontaneously hypertensive rats. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol.
161. Nwachukwu ID, Aluko RE. 2018. Physicochemical and emulsification properties of flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum
) albumin and globulin fractions. Food Chem.
160. Adebooye OC, Alashi AM, Aluko RE. 2018. A brief review on emerging trends in global polyphenol research. J. Food Biochem.
159. Nwachukwu ID, Aluko RE. 2018. Antioxidant properties of flaxseed protein hydrolysates: influence of hydrolytic enzyme concentration and peptide size. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc.
158. Gesinde FA, Udechukwu MC, Aluko RE. (2018). Structural and functional characterization of legume seed ferritin concentrates. J. Food Biochem.
157. Chao D, Aluko RE. 2018. Modification of the structural, emulsifying and foaming properties of an isolated pea protein by thermal pretreatment. CyTA - Journal of Food,
156. Chao D, Jung S, Aluko RE. 2018. Physicochemical and functional properties of high pressure-treated isolated pea protein. Innov. Food Sci. Emerg. Technol.
155. Ijarotimi SO, Malomo SA, Fagbemi TN, Osundahunsi OF, Aluko RE. 2018. Structural and functional properties of Buchholzia coriacea
seed flour and protein concentrate at different pH and protein concentrations. Food Hydrocolloids
. 74, 275-288.
154. Famuwagun AA, Taiwo KA, Gbadamosi SO, Oyedele DJ, Aluko RE, Adebooye OC. 2017. Extraction optimization and antioxidant properties of African eggplant (Solanum macrocarpon
) leaf polyphenols. J. Food Quality.
2017, Article ID 2159183.
153. Lin H-C, Alashi AM, Aluko RE, Pan BS, Chang Y-W. 2017. Antihypertensive properties of tilapia (Oreochromis
spp.) frame and skin enzymatic protein hydrolysates. Food Nutr. Res.
152. Nwachukwu ID, Kouritzin TM, Aluko RE, Myrie SB. 2017. The role of omega-3 fatty acids in skeletal muscle anabolism, strength, and function in healthy and diseased states. J. Food Biochem.
151. Udenigwe CC, Okolie CL, Qian H, Ohanenye IC, Agyei D, Aluko RE. 2017. Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase as a sustainable and promising plant source of bioactive peptides for food applications. Trends Food Sci Technol.
150. Akinyede AI, Malomo SA, Fagbemi TN, Osundahunsi OF, Aluko RE. 2017. Polypeptide profile, amino acid composition and some functional properties of calabash nutmeg (Monodora myristica
) flour and protein products. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc.
149. Neves AC, Harnedy PA, O’Keeffe MB, Alashi AM, Aluko RE, FitzGerald RJ. 2017. Peptide identification in a salmon gelatin hydrolysate with antihypertensive, dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitory and antioxidant activities. Food Res. Int.
148. Davies-Hoes LD, Scanlon MG, Girgih AT, Aluko RE. 2017. Effect of pea flours with different particle sizes on antioxidant activity in pan breads. Cereal Chem.
147. Yang Y-J, He H-Y, Wang F-Z, Ju X-R, Yuan J, Wang L-F, Aluko RE, He R. 2017. Transport of angiotensin converting enzyme and renin dual inhibitory peptides LY, RALP and TF across Caco-2 cell monolayers. J. Funct. Foods.
146. O’Keeffe MB, Norris R, Alashi MA, Aluko RE, FitzGerald RJ. 2017. Peptide identification in a porcine gelatin prolyl endoproteinase hydrolysate with angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory and hypotensive activity. J. Funct. Foods.
145. Udenigwe CC, Girgih AT, Mohan A, Gong M, Malomo SA, Aluko RE. 2017. Antihypertensive and bovine plasma oxidation-inhibitory activities of spent hen meat protein hydrolysates. J. Food Biochem.
144. Fu Y, Alashi AM, Young JF, Therkildsen M, Aluko RE. 2017. Enzyme inhibition kinetics and molecular interactions of patatin peptides with angiotensin I-converting enzyme and renin. Int. J. Biol. Macromol.
143. Arise AK, Nwachukwu ID, Aluko RE, Amonsou EO. 2017. Structure-composition and some functional properties of storage proteins extracted from bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranea
) landraces. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol.
142. Arise AK, Alashi AM, Nwachukwu ID, Malomo SA, Aluko RE, Amonsou EO. 2017. Inhibitory properties of bambara groundnut protein hydrolysate and peptide fractions against angiotensin converting enzymes, renin and free radicals. J. Sci. Food Agric
. 97: 2834–2841.
141. Ajibola CF, Fagbemi TN, Aluko RE. 2017. Modulation of the secondary and tertiary structures of African yam bean seed (Sphenostylis sternocarpa
) albumin, globulin and protein concentrate by pH and NaCl. J Food Biochem.
140. Akinyede AI, Girgih AT, Osundahunsi OF, Fagbemi TN, Aluko RE. 2017. Effect of membrane processing on amino acid composition and antioxidant properties of marble vine seed (Dioclea reflexa
) protein hydrolysate. J. Food Proc. Preserv.
12. Aluko RE. 2018. Antihypertensive foods: protein hydrolysates and peptides. In “Food Chemistry Encyclopedia”. Elsevier: Oxford. In press.
11. Aluko RE. 2018. Food protein-derived peptides: production, isolation, and purification. In RY Yada (ed), Proteins in Food Processing.
Elsevier: Oxford. 2nd edition. Elsevier: Oxford. Chapter 15, pp. 389-41.
10. Aluko RE. 2017. Structural characteristics of food protein-derived bitter peptides. In N.A.M. Eskin and M. Aliani (eds.), Bitterness: Perception, Chemistry, and Food Processing.
Wiley-Blackwell: New York. pp. 105-129.
9. Aluko RE. 2016. Hemp Seed (Cannabis sativa
L.) Proteins: Composition, Structure, Enzymatic Modification and Functional or Bioactive Properties. In S. Nadathur, J.
Wanasundara, L. Scanlin (eds), Sustainable Protein Sources.
Elsevier: Oxford. Chapter 7, pp. 121-132.
8. Aluko RE. 2015. ‘Amino acids, peptides and proteins as antioxidants for food preservation’. In F. Shahidi (ed.), Handbook of antioxidants for food preservation
1st edition. Woodhead Publishing: Cambridge, pp. 105-140.
1. Aluko, R.E.
, Wu, J., Aukema, H.M. Yellow field pea seed protein-derived peptides. United States Patent No. 8,815,806. Published August 26, 2014.
2. Wu, J., Muir, A., & Aluko, R.E.
ACE inhibitory peptides from plant materials. United States Patent No. 7,566,690. Filed December 23, 2003; Granted July 28, 2009.
3. Wu J, Muir A, and Aluko, R.E.
A process for preparing and angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory peptide containing hydrolysate. Indian Patent Number: 221818. Filed June 08, 2005; Granted July 7, 2008;
3. Wu, J., Muir, A., & Aluko, R.E.
ACE inhibitory peptides from plant materials. European Patent 1,575,375. Filed 12/24/2003, published 09/21/2005.