1. What is an administered assessment?
2. How to create an administered assessment
3. How to prepare to grade an administered assessment
4. How to grade an administered assessment with your team
What is an administered assessment?
An administered assessment is any assessment written by students while monitored by the instructor or other supporting staff. The assessment is printed, distributed to students, then scanned and uploaded for online grading.
Midterm and final exams are called "Administered Assessments" in Crowdmark.
How to create an administered MIDTERM/FINAL assessment
- Prepare your assessment using Word, LaTeX etc. and save as a PDF.
- Log into Crowdmark using your UM Learn username and password.
- Import your course.
- Crowdmark reference: Importing a course from Brightspace
- Click on Import a Course (blue button at the top right).
- Select the course for which you wish to begin creating assessments and click Import course.
- Create an assessment.
- Click the blue button +Create assessment within your course.
- Give your assessment an appropriate name i.e. Mid-term exam. Note that the link sent out to students will contain both your course name in Crowdmark as well as the assessment name.
- Choose the Administered assessment type and click Next.
- Upload the PDF of your assessment to Crowdmark and click Next. Double-sided printing is selected by default. Please note the following printing recommendations:
- Duplex or double sided printing is optimal for Crowdmark exams as the QR code works best with duplex.
- Select Letter 8.5” by 11” or Legal 11” by 14” as preferred paper size.
- If staples are required, they must always be placed on the top left corner.
- Enroll students and click Next.
- Before generating the PDF for printing, add a few extra copies for each test room.
- Click Generate PDF. This PDF contains a copy of the assessment for each student and every page has a unique QR code.
- Download the generated PDF file.
- Print the PDF file of your MIDTERM exam or as required, prepare for vendor printing. Please note that All FINAL exams must go to the Registrar’s Office (RO) for printing and distribution as below:
The University has a secure and confidential contract with UNIGraphics printing for this purpose. Please follow the below instructions to authorize and enable a printer–uploader role for your exam.
- Click Team in the Dashboard menu. The Grading team page opens.
- Click +Invite by email. The Invite team members’ page opens.
- Type or paste the below email addresses in the field indicated:
- Select the role Printer-Uploader.
- Click Invite. (NOTE: Confirmation of receipt can be confirmed by checking if your invitation has been 'accepted')
- Click Finished! Go to Dashboard
How to prepare for grading an administered MIDTERM/FINAL assessment
- To invite graders to your team, click Team in the Dashboard menu. The Grading team page opens.
- Scan and upload the exam.
- If you are using IST Client Services to scan your exam, please follow these instructions here.
- (OPTIONAL) Prepare a marking scheme for your team and assign markers to questions.
You can easily divide the marking of a single page among several markers. (Marker A marks students 1-12, marker B grades 13-24, marker C grades 25-36 etc.) You will be able to reassign the marking if some questions turn out to be slower to grade.
How to grade an administered MIDTERM/FINAL assessment
- After the exams have been scanned into Crowdmark, go to My Courses > [Course Title].
Figure 1: Question content in Edit mode
The Dashboard for the assessment shows the marking speed for each page (evaluations per hour) and the progress of the overall marking at any time.
Note: By default, Graders are unable to view a question that has been marked by another Grader. You can change this setting from the Dashboard in Assessment Settings.
- Click Start grading. The Grading Grid opens.
Figure 2: Question content in Preview Mode
- The grading grid displays the students (numbered in rows) and pages (in columns) of the exam. Click on a question to start grading.
- Crowdmark reference: Grading tools
Figure 3: The assessment Dashboard
Use the toolbox on the left side of the Grading Grid (Figure 3) to add check marks (“c”+ click), X’s (“x”+ click), and question marks (“q”+ click). You can also highlight students’ work and change your pen colour.
Comments are saved in the Comment Library to allow for quick entry. The comment feature also supports Markdown for chemical equations and LaTex for math.
Figure 4: The Dashboard with the Distribute to students button
Use the navigation menu in the right sidebar of the Grading Grid (above image) to navigate to the next question or student. Click the right/left (or use shortcut keys “l”/“h”) arrows on the right to move to the next/previous question. Click down/up arrow (or use shortcut keys “j”/“k”) to move to the next/previous student.
The Next Ungraded button will bring graders to the next available page that no one else is presently viewing or that has not been previously graded. It will not necessarily be the next one down the grid.
- Enter one score on each page and click OK in the number pad to save the score.
Figure 5: The Dashboard with grading progress table
- To return to the Dashboard, click the assessment name at the top of the page.
Figure 6: The Grading Grid
- Match assessments to students. You must match the cover page of each assessment to a student listed in your Crowdmark course.
- Click Results in the Dashboard menu to view statistics on grades per question as well as overall scores. From the Results page, you can send grades to students and export grades to UM Learn.
- Send grades to students.
- Export Grades to UM Learn.
IST SERVICE DESK
Mon - Fri: 8am to 8pm
123 Fletcher Argue
Mon - Fri: 8am to 8pm
230 Neil John Maclean Library
Mon - Fri: 8am to 4:30pm
New! Submit requests & check ticket status online at: umanitoba.ca/ist/service_catalogue/