A / B / C / D / E / G / H / I / J / L / M / O / P / R / S / T / U / V / W
Accounts and Passwords
- Activate your UMNetID to gain access to E-mail, JUMP, and UM Learn accounts. Register for other system and application accounts. Find help with passwords and request access to systems and services you need.
- Application Services delivers and manages university enterprise systems. This includes identifying client needs, evaluating and recommending alternative solutions, and coordinating the implementation of those solutions. Request production support or enhancements to university systems including AdAstra, Dollar Universe, UM Achieve, Argos, Workflow and other university wide systems not specifically named in other categories.
Apply Yourself / Radius (Hobson's)
- Apply Yourself and Radius allow applicants to apply for admission online, receive communications, accept an offer of admission, and submit their tuition deposits. Request enhancement and report issues with accessing any of the products.
- Schedule audio visual equipment and request trained operators and field staff to offer information and assistance for academic functions such as credit classes (as listed in the University Calendar) exams, thesis presentations and Extended Education certificate programs.
Audio Visual Maintenance
- IST designs, installs, and maintains audio visual infrastructure on campus. You may request new room installations or request maintenance of existing installed equipment.
- Aurora Finance encompasses the University of Manitoba's financial systems. This includes BANNER, FAST, CONCUR and EPIC. Request enhancement and report issues with accessing Aurora Finance.
- Aurora Student enables University of Manitoba capabilities for academic degree and diploma credit. This includes admissions, registration and student records management, awards and financial aid, as well as graduation and convocation. Request production support and enhancements. Notify IST of issues accessing Aurora Student.
Backup and Recovery
- Data is the most important aspect of your computer. Hardware can fail, data can be corrupted, or computers can be lost or stolen. Backup and Recovery services can help you protect and restore your data when something goes wrong. Request help with issues and services relating to the restoration and backup of data.
Collaboration and File Sharing
- Banner Document Management (BDM) is an imaging and electronic document management system. Home directories are available for individuals. Shared drives are available for departmental and University collaborative efforts. Request additional drive space and assistance using BDM and shared directories.
Computational Cluster for Students
- High performance computing facilities with multiple servers are available to you for processing computationally intensive jobs and for teaching purposes. These servers are open to anyone who has a University of Manitoba computer account (UMNetID).
- Request assistance with database services for university centrally managed servers. Find information and assistance concerning software upgrades, patching, problem solving and auditing of Oracle and MS SQL Servers. Request database creation, running database scripts, and cloning of databases.
Decommission Electronic Device
- Computers, printers, and mobile devices which store data must be decommissioned by IST to ensure appropriate security measures are followed. Equipment may be re-purposed or disposed of in an environmentally friendly manner. Find information on decommissioning electronic equipment.
Desktops and Laptops
- Explore workstation support services available to you including hardware configuration and software installation. Find help moving your desktop to a new location.
back to top
- Microsoft Exchange is a feature rich e-mail and calendaring system available to the University of Manitoba community. Office365 e-mail is available to students and retirees and accessed through the Outlook Web App. Request help in creating shared e-mail accounts distribution lists, and calendars. Find answers to your e-mail questions.
- Visitors to the University of Manitoba may access Guest Wi-Fi while on campus. “U of M guest” is an open and unsecured network. User bandwidth is limited to allow 60 minutes of access. “Eduroam” is also available for visitors from other educational institutions.
- iClicker is a classroom response system used to assess how well students understand concepts presented throughout lectures. It is a means to encourage classroom discussion, with the potential to better engage students in what they are being taught. Find lecture theatres with iClicker base receivers at the Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses or request an iClicker ID.
Information Security and Vulnerability Assessment
- To address the growing security concerns around computing, IST offers a number of services and tools aimed at making your computing experience safer. This includes resources for antivirus, SPAM, and reporting lost or stolen devices.
Infrastructure Hardware Procurement
- Find help in purchasing new computer, network, audio-visual, and security hardware.
IT Professional Services Procurement
- IST will assist you in retaining professional services for technical resources when required to meet your needs. This may include services for project management or business analysis during temporary skill shortages or technical project needs.
- JUMP is the University of Manitoba’s online portal for students, faculty, and staff. JUMP gives access to e-mail, course links to UM Learn, campus news, and access to many university services. Request production support, new site creation, and enhancement. Notify IST of issues experienced when accessing JUMP.
back to top
Landlines, Fax and Voicemail
- Landlines, Fax, and voicemail services are available to the University of Manitoba community. Request assistance and information for new telephone configuration, moving your telephone, or to report a broken telephone. Find help for using fax and voicemail services.
- The university has over 3,000 video titles available for you to use in the classroom. Request videos and provide suggestions for new videos to be added to the collection. Volunteer to evaluate new items for possible acquisition, we will work with you to arrange for video programs to be brought in for evaluation purposes.
- Office365 ProPlus is available free for University of Manitoba students with a valid UMNetID. This allows you to install Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher and Access. The plan gives you 1TB of OneDrive storage. Find information and assistance downloading and installing Office365 for Students.
- OPAL is a Curriculum management system for Undergraduate Medicine Education (UGME). Find information and assistance for the OPAL system. Request enhancements and notify IST if you are experiencing issues.
Open Area Computing Labs
- Open Area computer labs are located at the Fort Garry campus to provide you access to computers with various licensed software packages.
- Located at the University of Manitoba’s IST Data Centre, the OpenStack computing environment provides researchers access to large pools of computational, storage and networking resources that are independent of any operating system and can be self-managed without the overhead of administering and maintaining the underlying physical computing infrastructure. Find assistance with OpenStack.
- The Optical Scoring System provides scoring/analysis of multiple choice exams, course evaluations, and data for the University community. Exam and course evaluation/data analysis results are provided in the form of printed reports and/or computer files. Request a course evaluation and notify IST of issues experienced with Optical Scoring.
Photographic and Imaging Resources
- Photography and imaging services using the latest digital imaging equipment are available to you for university teaching, promotion, and special event needs. Request information and assistance with these services including special events, portraits, image restoration and enhancement, slide to digital file transfers, printing, lamination, specimen and macro photography.
- Printer support is available at both the Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses. Find information and assistance for printer related issues. Request support for Pay-for-Print services.
- RedDot is the University of Manitoba's content management system. It is used by web content providers to publish new content and edit existing content on the University of Manitoba web site. Find help and request RedDot training.
Remote Access Network (VPN)
- Remote Access allows you to connect to the university networks and systems while off campus through a virtual private network. Request information and notify IST if you experience difficulties using VPN services.
- Reporting services are available to provide enterprise reporting. Find information on requesting enhancements to reporting services. Request technical advice and support if you require special jobs or maintenance of report tables.
back to top
- The Service Desk represents a single point of contact for handling requests and reporting issues. They act as liaison between you and other IST support groups to facilitate communication and resolution of your requests. Request information on services provided and public notifications.
Smartphone and Mobile Devices
- Explore mobile device support services available to you including requests for a new smartphone or changes to mobile plans. Find help to configure your mobile device or if your smartphone is broken and requires repair.
- Request information and assistance when considering the purchase or licensing of new software. IST can assist you in assessing software options for outsourced software or in-house tools.
Special Event Services
- Plan logistics and coordinate technical recourses to make your event, on or off campus, a success. Find help and information for Webcasting, Recording Video production and Equipment rental.
Specialized and Department Specific Applications
- Support for specialized, departmental and web/mobile applications is available if you require production support for systems such as Raiser's Edge, Cherwell, Intelligenz or other similar department or web/mobile applications. Notify the IST team if you are experiencing issues with specialized applications.
- Find information and assistance for your university tablet including setup and configuration of e-mail and Wi-Fi. Report an issue with your tablet.
Telephone Conference Call Services
- Conference call services allow you to engage dispersed individuals in your telephone discussions. Learn about features and costs associated with conference calling at the University of Manitoba.
- UM Learn is the University of Manitoba's Learning Management System. UM Learn allows professors to add course materials and tests online. Students are able to access these materials securely. Find information on course maintenance and tool based support.
- VENTIS is a Curriculum management system for Postgraduate Medicine Education (PGME). Find information and assistance for the VENTIS system. Request enhancements and notify IST if you are experiencing issues.
Video Recording and Production Services
- Production services are available to you for use in credit class, promotions, special events, public lectures and conferences. Find information and assistance with video recording, editing, transfers, conversion and playback of recorded material.
- Video-Conferencing allows you to meet and collaborate with colleagues across campus or around the world, with productive online meetings and discussions. The technology is designed to support two-way video and audio communication between two sites or between multiple locations at reasonable and competitive rates. Find help with video conferencing services.
- VIP/Employee Self Service is the Human Resource Management System that supports human resource management and payroll at the University of Manitoba. Request enhancements and notify the IST team of issues with the VIP system.
Web Content Management
- Find information for web content management. Request access rights and permissions for managing web content and inform IST of issues you are experiencing.
- Webcasting allows you to stream live video and audio over the internet. You can bridge distances by allowing people to attend your event virtually, create overflow rooms for your most popular on-site sessions, and hold team meetings, training sessions and briefings online. Find help with webcasting features for recording, publishing, distributing and viewing rich media presentations.
Website Operational Support
- Website Support manages the development and maintenance of all software that facilitates the administration of information on the University of Manitoba’s web site. Request a new wiki or blog. Find assistance for tools available on the web site including News and Event Management applications, web search engines, and social networking applications.
- Westgrid is a consortium of Western Canadian universities and other partners that provides high performance computing resources for Canadian research projects. Westgrid is an integral part of the National Computing Platform of ComputeCanada. It encompasses 14 partner institutions in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. University of Manitoba is a major Westgrid Site which hosts a 4000-core general-purpose supercomputer called Grex, and provides Research Computing support. Find information and assistance with accessing Westgrid/ComputeCanada, submitting jobs, installing software, parallel programming, and receiving training.
WestGrid Collaboration and Visualization
- WestGrid is an advanced collaboration and visualization facility available to researchers for research related activities, such as meetups of distributed research teams, distributed seminar series/lectures/tutorials and thesis defences. The main collaboration technologies are Vidyo and IOCOM which go beyond the capabilities of traditional videoconferencing. The facility is also equipped with a stereoscopic projector that can be used for scientific 3D visualization.
- Workstations at the University of Manitoba are enabled through wired networks, allowing users a secure and fast computing environment. Find help If you need new physical ports installed or need data ports activated and configured. Request registration of your MAC address if you are using a data port.
- The University of Manitoba's wireless infrastructure allows you to connect to the system and network without the use of wires or cables. The wireless network is available to all students, faculty, and staff. Find answers to your wireless network questions and request support and assistance when you need.
back to top