Who we are:
Information Security and Compliance is a unit within Information Services & Technology (IST) at the University of Manitoba. Our goal is to maintain and enhance the security and integrity of information, computing resources and technology at the U of M so you can be confident that your information is protected.
Get Informed - We ask that you familiarize yourself with important standards, policies and procedures on the use of our IT resources, technology and data
- Protect Yourself – Here we will provide tools and up-to-date information on information security threats, mobile security tips, how-tos on protecting yourself against phishing attacks and password management tips.
- Keep In Touch With Us – Reporting potential threats and a timely response is vital to maintaining a safe U of M IT environment for everyone. We are here and available for your questions and concerns and from time to time we will communicate important, and sometimes critical, information to you on information security
- Visit, phone or email us - IST Help and Solutions Centre, 123 Fletcher Argue, 204-474-8600, email@example.com
- Follow us on social media for timely information - IST Alerts blog, Twitter, Facebook
- Check back to this website for updates
- If you would like to report spam email, send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- NOTE: In certain circumstances, due to the sensitive nature of an incident, people may be concerned about reporting to the IST Help and Solutions Centre. In such cases the person may directly contact the IST Security Team team at email@example.com
Information and Resources:
► What is malware or spyware? ► What is malware or spyware?
Malware or spyware is an umbrella term for malicious software or programs that access your data discreetly by infecting your technology. They almost always do some kind of harm.
► What is spam?► What is spam?
Spam is unsolicited junk email normally with some kind of sales or advertising content.
► What is phishing?► What is phishing?
Phishing is electronic identity theft and could lead to financial theft
► What is the University doing about phishing and spam?► What is the University doing about phishing and spam?
We employ an email security solution called Ironport but no spam or email filter is perfect so we advise that everyone should be aware of best practices and remain vigilant when opening email from unfamiliar sources and clicking suspect links
Get relevant and important updates, notices, tips and answers to FAQs by following us on social media: