Some Key Information
All University of Manitoba personal computers are required to have an AntiVirus protection product installed on them.
The University of Manitoba's IST department currently provides and supports (since June 10, 2002) Trend Micro's OfficeScan Corporate Edition AntiVirus software.
The IST department RECOMMENDS that University of Manitoba staff and students (including authorized off-campus users) use Trend Micro's OfficeScan Corporate Edition AntiVirus products to protect their workstations, Windows servers and other at-risk devices.
TrendMicro offers individual installers plus an installer for installing from a client disk image.
Application Technologies provides technical support for AntiVirus products for the Universiy of Manitoba.
BEFORE YOU INSTALL...
- Internet 5.0 or higher is required to do a web-based install of OfficeScan Corporate Edition AntiVirus.
- OfficeScan uses a file transfer dll that is installed with IE .
ACTIVE-X must be installed on your workstation before performing a web-based install. If you don't have ACTIVE-X installed, you will be prompted to accept it's installation before continuing with the installation
- The latest version of IE can be downloaded from Software Express.
- On-campus users without IE 5.0 or higher can use an alternate method to install OfficeScan if necessary.
- WORKGROUP NAME should represent a logical group of users.
- On-campus users use the Container name in the login context.
- Container names are already in place for Novell users.
- WORKGROUP names are restricted to 15 characters.
- Some container names are longer than 15 characters so those Container Administrators will have to come up with a WORKGROUP name that resembles the Container name.
- Off-campus users should change their WORKGROUP name to UOFMREMOTE.
- WORKSTATION NAME should be recognizable as the owner of the workstation and easily recognized by whomever may end up managing the Container and the Management Console Administrator.
- SHUTDOWN and RESTART workstation after changing workgroup name, workstation name and uninstalling previous AntiVirus software.
- The person performing the initial OfficeScan install on a workstation must have Administrative Rights to the machine. (Further updates do not require Administrative Rights).
- OTHER AntiVirus products should be removed from the workstation (and the workstation rebooted) before installing OfficeScan.
- OfficeScan only runs a partial scan while installing.
- You should SCHEDULE a full scan after you have finished the installation.
- FIREWALLS must either be disabled or configured so that you are not blocking port 11050, port 3128, the program TMListen.exe, or any other OfficeScan components.
- If you are running Windows.XP SP2 or higher, the XP firewall is enabled by default. For instructions on disabling the XP firewall or making changes to it, please refer to our FAQS page.
- If you are having trouble, please refer to our FAQS page, or call your Container Administrator or the Help Desk (474-8600).