The 'uofm' wireless network is intended to give account holders 'temporary wireless access' to the network. It is essentially an interim and temporary access for 'guests'. For more information on secure wireless, please visit our wireless page.
Steps for using Temporary Wireless Access
The following steps are required to successfully connect:
- Ensure your wireless card is active and connected to network uofm.
- Open your web browser (Eg: Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc).
- Browsing to any website should redirect you to the login page.
If not, you may access this page by visiting https://18.104.22.168/
- Your browser will encounter and complain about an invalid certificate. Some versions of Firefox and other browser may not let you proceed. If you cannot accept the certificate, you will have to switch to Internet Explorer.
- Accept the invalid certificate. The issue is that it is not signed by a trusted authority, but it is a valid certificate.
- You should now see the login page for the unsecured wireless. Enter your UMnetID and password to proceed.
- Once authenticated, you will be directed to an ACN Networking webpage. A pop-up window will open to allow you to disconnect your session.'
There are a limited number of addresses that are available with guest-access. When the logon page does not appear it may be because there isn't an address to allocate to you. When this occurs your only recourse is to try again later when an address is freed up by somebody leaving the wireless network.
If you require assistance please contact the IST Help & Solutions Centre at 474-8600, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by visiting 123 Fletcher Argue.
Wireless networking at the University of Manitoba is subject to IST's "Wireless Networking Procedures and Guidelines".