Cycling can be a fast, fun, and inexpensive way to travel to University of Manitoba campuses. As cycling facilities continue to expand both on and leading to our campuses, more and more University community members are arriving by bike. In fact, the 2016 Transportation Survey indicated 10% of faculty, 8% of students and 5% of staff cycle to campus. Find out how you can, too!
Plan Your Route
Find the City of Winnipeg Bike Map online or at the Office of Sustainability and begin planning your route to campus. Follow these tips to enjoy your ride:
- Read the legend. Be sure to check the bike map legend to match your cycling comfort level with traffic volumes and available infrastructure. You can also find routes other students and staff have taken to bike to Fort Garry or Bannatyne campus using this interactive map.
- Pair up. Find an experienced cyclist to help you plan your ride.
- Gear up. Take the weight off your back with bike panniers and don’t forget a good U-lock and bike lights, especially if you’re riding at dawn or dusk.
- Stay safe. Manitoba Public Insurance (MPI) has a wealth of information on cycling safely. Their resources were produced in collaboration with Bike Winnipeg, the Manitoba Cycling Association, The Province of Manitoba and the City of Winnipeg.
Prepare Your Bike at UMCycle Bike Kiosk
Ensure your bike is in good working order before you pedal off. Try one of these bike repair options:
- UMCycle Bike Kiosk is a full-service bike shop, located at the intersection of the Curry Place Pedway and Sidney Smith Street, in the centre of the University of Manitoba, Fort Garry Campus. They have parts and accessories for sale and do installation, adjustments and overhauls of all systems of the bike. The shop is accessible with a ramp leading to the automatic main door. Students get a 25% discount on services. There is a community stand with a variety of tools and pumps available during operating hours.
- Summer Hours:
- 11:00am - 5:00pm (Monday)
- 11:30am - 7:30pm (Tuesday through Saturday)
- Closed Sunday and on holidays
- Contact the Bike Kiosk (204) 474-8484, UMCycle@umsu.ca for more information or to make an appointment for another time.
- Self-serve bicycle repair stations with pumps are located at Bannatyne Campus in front of Brodie Centre.
Park Your Bike
Lock your bike at one of approximately 1,400 bike parking spaces at Fort Garry and 150 spaces at Bannatyne.
- Find the nearest bike rack by viewing the latest Fort Garry bike parking map [pdf] and Bannatyne Campus bike parking map [pdf].
- Rent one of 16 new bike lockers on Fort Garry campus.
- On Fort Garry campus, subscribe to use the University Parkade Bike Station, which offers more than 100 parking spots in an enclosed facility. Visit Parking Services at 423 University Crescent to register to access the facility.
- On Bannatyne campus, access the University’s Bike Cage located along the West side of Dentistry. Bring your staff or student card to Physical Plant, Rm S013 in the Medical Services Building to have your card coded. Staff and students can also access Health Sciences Centre (HSC)’s indoor bike garage in the Emily St Parkade, or HSC’s outdoor bike cage at 707 McDermot by visiting the HSC Parking Services Office at 720 McDermot Ave, Level 1.
Lock It Up
A recent bike parking audit conducted at Fort Garry revealed over half of bikes locked on campus were locked with inadequate cable locks, easily cut by thieves. Wherever you choose to lock your bike, follow these tips to help reduce your chances of experiencing bike theft.
- Lock the frame of your bike and one wheel to an anchored bike rack using a solid steel U-lock.
- Lock any additional quick release parts, including your second wheel and seat, with another U-lock or a double-end cable lock.
- Register your bike with City of Winnipeg Community Services Bicycle Recovery Section.
- Please report bike theft or suspicious behaviour to Campus Security Services and Winnipeg Police.
If you bike, run or walk to campus, staff can now purchase a shower-only pass at Max Bell on Fort Garry or Joe Doupe on Bannatyne campus. Purchase day pass access for $2, or monthly pass access for $10.
- On Fort Garry, register at Recreation Services Reception in Frank Kennedy Centre, and access the shower facilities at Max Bell Centre from 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. daily.
- On Bannatyne, register in Room 030 in Brodie Centre and access the shower facilities at Joe Doupe Centre from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. weekdays and 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. weekends.