SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS: Payments cannot be made without ORIGINAL RECEIPT
WHEN SHOULD YOU APPLY FOR TRAVEL FUNDS?
Apply for your travel funds BEFORE you leave for your conference. Ideally, you should apply for Travel Awards as soon as you receive confirmation/acceptance from the conference group confirming your acceptance to present. In this way, you'll know approximately the amount of funds available to you.
However, if you do not wish to apply early you may apply upon return
DEADLINE: Remember, all requests for travel expense refunds must be submitted NO LATER THAN 1-MONTH after the last day of the conference.
TRAVEL APPLICATIONS & EXPENSE CLAIM PROCEDURES
VISA TRAVEL EXPENSES
- Travel reimbursements for visas are no longer offered.
CONFERENCE TRAVEL APPLICATIONS & EXPENSE CLAIMS
FACULTY OF GRADUATE STUDIES
- GO TO
- You will land on a page with a 2-PAGE FORM
- PAGE 1:
- READ the first page
- FGS Acknowledgement
- Funding Amounts
- Application Process
- CONFIRM that you have read and understand the information by CHECKING-OFF the check-box at the bottom of the page
- Click on the "NEXT" button
- PAGE 2:
- CAREFULLY FILL-IN the form -- DO NOT leave blanks
- Department Head, Letter of Support Form
- In / Out of Country Waiver Form
- Conference Confirmation of Paper / Poster Letter
- Abstract of Paper / Poster Begin Presented
- CLICK AWARD GUIDELINES
- CLICK the box indicating that you have read and understand the FGS TRAVEL AWARD GUIDELINES
- Click the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the page
- PROCESSING TIME
- ASSISTANCE & AWARD CONTACT
Ms. Laura McMillian
Funds are available until they last.
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
- FILL-IN AN APPLICATION: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/engineering/student_resources/sr_finances_travelfunding.html
- FILING AN EXPENSE CLAIM:
- Make a photocopy of the Travel Claims Form used in ECE (below)
- ASSISTANCE & AWARD CONTACT
Ms. Liezel Valete
Faculty of Engineering
E2-290 EITC Bldg.
Phone: (204) 474-7377
OTHER DEPARTMENT SUPPORT / SUPPLEMENTS
ELECTRICAL & COMPUTER ENGINEERING
- TRAVEL CLAIMS FORM
- Download a Travel Claims form
- Fill-in the Travel Claims form
- Detailed Instructions may be found beginning on PAGE 3 of this form
- REFERENCE NUMBER
- Click on the link to obtain a Travel Claims reference number.
- A reference number is REQUIRED to submit a Travel Claims form
- ORIGINAL RECEIPTS
- Attach all original receipts
- SUBMIT to
Ms. Heather Katrick
Tel: 204 474 9603
OTHER DEPARTMENTS--Your Supervisor's Home Dept.
Please contact the TRAVEL AWARD contact person at your Academic Advisor's home department to inquire as to how to submit a Travel Award Application & Expense Claim Form.
UMGSA -- UNIV OF MANITOBA GRADUATE STUDENT ASSOC.
- Application & Instructions for expense claims
221 University Centre
Ft. Garry Campus
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION for APPLICATION
- DEPARTMENT HEAD APPROVAL: LETTER OF SUPPORT
- Download the Letter Form --
- ONLY the Department Head's Signature is required on this form
- You do NOT need to fill-in the Form
- Obtain only the Department Head's signature
- INDEMNITY (WAIVER) FORM: Signed -- one of the following must be submitted
- Travel OUTSIDE of Canada:
- Travel WITHIN Canada:
- CONFERENCE ACCEPTANCE LETTER:
- Confirmation that your paper or poster has been accepted by the Conference Organizers
- A one-page abstract of your paper or poster being presented
FGS Travel Application Deadline is as follows:
- Students may apply prior to departure to the conference OR
- May submit a COMPLETED application up to one-month after the last day of the conference
- Example: If the last day of the conference is the 15th, the student has till the 15th of the following month to apply online with all supporting documentation attached.
- FACULTY OF GRADUATE STUDIES
- STATUS: Students must be
- in "Good Standing"
- Currently, registered and enrolled as "full-time" in a Master or Ph.D. program
- 3.5 GPA: A minimum degree grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 in the LAST 60-credit hours (or equivalent).
- GPA CALCULATION:
Award GPA is calculated using the last 60-credit hours (or equivalent) of grades. In some cases, this means we will need to use grades from a previous degree.
- FGS TRAVEL AWARD INFO:
- NUMBER OF PAY-OUTS
- Master Level: Once during the student's Master's Program
- Ph.D. Level: Twice during the student's Ph.D. Program
- RELEVANT RESEARCH
Papers / posters must be relevant to your program of study for presentation at a conference or festival or competition in the case of creative output endeavours, of a recognized national or international organization.
- RELEVANT AUTHORSHIP
The Travel Award Applicant must be listed as the FIRST AUTHOR
- DEPARTMENTAL SUPPORT / SUPPLEMENTS
- DEPT. OF ELECTRICAL & COMPUTER ENG.
The Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering will subsidize only students meeting the following criteria
- Student's FIRST ACADEMIC ADVISOR holds a faculty position in the Dept. of ECE
- Attending a conference or Presenting at a conference
- Regardless of FGS support
- There is no maximum number of conference, but conference must be
- approved by the student's Academic Advisor
- must be within the student's research area
- At the time of this of the posting of this page NO GPA REQUIREMENT is necessary
- OTHER DEPARTMENTS
(e.g. Physics, Pharmacology, Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, Otolaryngology, Restorative Dentistry, Radiology, etc.)
Please apply for supplemental travel support directly to the Department with which your Academic Advisor is a member. Some Departments do not offer Student Travel Support; please ask your Academic Advisor.
- FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
- The Faculty of Engineering will subsidize a student only ONCE during their time in the graduate program regardless of whether the student is enrolled as a Master, Ph.D. or had been in both programs.
- Allow up to three weeks for processing.
- At the time of the posting of this page NO GPA REQUIREMENT is necessary
Please visit the UMGSA office directly OR see http://www.umgsa.org/conference-grant/
- YOUR ACADEMIC ADVISOR
Please contact your Academic Advisor directly
- Awards are paid directly to recipients
- Payments are processed AFTER original receipts for travel and proof of attendance at the conference have been submitted to:
The Awards Assistant
Faculty of Graduate Studies
500 University Centre
- Allow at least 3-weeks for processing.
- EXPENSE CLAIMS -- please submit within 30-days of the end of the conference.
- FUNDS AVAILABLE:
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Travel within North America: $750
- Travel Internationally: $1,000
- Biomedical Engineering: $100
- Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering: $300
- Faculty of Engineering $250
- UMGSA: Please contact UMGSA directly
- Your Advisor: Please contact your Academic Advisor directly as to whether funds are available
UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA TRAVEL SERVICES
- TRAVEL CLAIMS FORM
- REFERENCE NUMBER
REQUIRED to submit your Travel Claims Form
- Expenditure Account Codes
- Travel Services Directory
- Students are NOT required book through Concur. Consult your Academic Advisor.
- Univ. Travel Allowances / Per Diem & Info
University travel system / tools
- CONCUR APP
Allows you to scan your receipts during travel & apply to an account number -- original receipts still REQUIRED & MUST be SUBMITTED upon return
- CONCUR: Quick Reference Guide
- CONCUR instructions / info
- CONCUR Log-on Info
Log-in through your JUMP
- CONCUR Account Numbers
- CONCUR Quick-Reference Guide
- UNIVERSITY TRAVEL AGENT:
Carlson Wagonlit (866) 855-9850
It is incumbent on the individual traveling to be aware of the risks when traveling. If you are traveling abroad, ensure you visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) web site for details on the country to which you are traveling. Additionally, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the document prepared by the International Centre for Students (ICS) entitled "Preparing for Overseas Travel: A Guide for UM Students" http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/funding/forms.html
TRAVEL NEWS & UPDATES:
OTHER AVAILABLE AWARDS
- The conference organizers may offer discounts for students, contributors, etc.
- Your Supervisor's Home Department or Faculty for additional funds
FGS TRAVEL AWARDS CONTACT:
Ms. Laura McMillian
- Awards & Funding are not guarranteed.
- It is the responsibility of the student to be aware of the limitations, deadlines, eligibility requirements, per diem, award types and availability, etc. of the University, Faculty, and Departments.
- Students are responsible for maitaining their own travel records, including receipts, and filing for compensation, if any, correctly.
- Students are responsible for their own travel documents and in ensuring that that all required documents are secured prior to travel.
- Students are responsible for ensuring they are covered for any and all medical costs for themselves and for other in the event the student is the person responsible for an accident or other event.
- Neither the University, Faculty, nor Department are responsbile for any student costs, expenses, lost of funds, accidents, health, missed events, third party damages or injuries, et al.