Departmental WHMIS Coordinators and Principal Investigators are responsible for ensuring that any person; storing, handling or using Hazardous Products receives the proper training and is done so in accordance with Part 35 of the Workplace Safety and Health regulations.
To simplify the transition to the Global Harmonized System (GHS),we have combined the WHMIS 1988 and 2015 online training. The new online training presentation and testing will provide an easy to follow comparison between WHMIS 1988 and 2015.
Those working with hazardous products must receive training to ensure competency in handling these materials.
As of March 10, 2017, online WHMIS training at the University of Manitoba will be accessed and completed through UMLearn.
Instructions to access WHMIS training
- Login to UMLearn using your UMNet ID and password.
- For personnel who do not have a UMNet ID, please fill out this form and submit to email@example.com .
- For personnel who previously had access to a UMLearn with their UMNetID and requires access, please fill out and submit an Individual Sponsored Account Form to IST to reactivate your account for UMLearn.
- In the top right-hand corner, click on “Support” > “Self Registration”.
- Click on “WHMIS Training”.
- A course description will appear. Click “Register”.
- Enter registration information as required. Click “Submit”.
- Click “finish” on the Step3: Confirmation window. A registration Summary should appear with the option to “Go To course offering WHMIS Training” as an option. Click on this to begin your training.
- To complete your WHMIS training, an online test score of 80% or higher is required. Upon successful completion, a certificate will be generated that you can access and print. Please submit this certificate to your departmental WHMIS coordinator for record keeping. NOTE: the certificate may take up to 5 minutes for the system to generate.
- WHMIS certificates can be accessed at any time under Assessments > Awards.