Pathogen Importation and Transfers

As of December 1st 2015, it is required under the Human Pathogens and Toxins Regulations that all transfers of regulated materials are communicated to the Biological Safety Officer.  You will need to provide documentation to the shipper that you are eligible to hold these materials which you can get from the Biological Safety Officer.

What does this include? (see below on how to notify transfer of these agents)

Special Notice!

If you are ordering a Security Sensitive Biological Agent contact the biological safety officer prior to ordering so we can verify that our license conditions allow the type and quantity of agent need.  Failure to do so may cause the University to violate its license conditions and The Act.   

What is exempt? (i.e. no notification necessary)

  • Pathogens or toxins that are found in their natural environment (ie human blood and tissue samples, soil samples etc)
  • Cell lines which do not contain an intact pathogen

If importing the below agents from outside Canada, please contact the Biological Safety Officer as these are regulated by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and require a different import permit

  • Foreign animal diseases 
  • Aquatic animal pathogens
  • Bee pathogens 
  • Animal blood, body fluids, tissues and by- products 
  • Pathogenic plants/plant pathogens or plant-propagating agents

Import and Transfer: Quick Reference Guide*

This chart indicates a summary of what is needed when importing biological agents. Click on the image to access the links for the documents.

*Please be advised that the required documentation is subject to change. Contact us to confirm what documentation is needed to transfer your biological agent.  

 Documentation for Notification  

**Please note: For ALL Transfers, an update of bioinventory is required using the EHSA database. **

Biohazardous Agent Transfer Form - Submit completed form to the Biosafety Program with the subject "PI SURNAME - BAT Form"