Every year in June, the Board of Governors approves the President’s priorities for the year. For the year beginning July 1, 2016, the Board of Governors approved a series of priorities and objectives based on the following:
- Working with the executive team to improve team effectiveness. The team is strong but improvement is always possible. This will include transitioning to a new configuration of team members, considering alternate approaches to performance assessment, engagement with the larger project of leadership development working with Human Resources and completing negotiations toward a new faculty contract.
- Working on the capital campaign. This will be a top priority for me, working with the Vice-President (External).
- Moving ahead on the change agenda for UM. Specific areas of attention include academic structure, the budget model, the new limited partnership for developing our land holdings.
- Encouraging alignment of effort and resources with the university's institutional priorities. We have a strategic plan and an implementation plan that accompanies it. The final stage is developing metrics.
- Articulating a longer term vision for the University of Manitoba. In particular, communicating the vision effectively to faculty, staff and students. To be discussed with the Board Chair in the fall.
- Speaking out on issues of public importance.