Submitting Supplementary Health and Healthcare Spending Account (HCSA) Claims — (Great West Life - Plan Number 20778):
The HCSA pays out only on the balance remaining after all other insurance plans have paid out. That includes your basic plan, your spouse's plan, and provincial plans.
On the top right hand corner of the Supplementary Healthcare claim form you are asked to select whether any portion of the expense should be paid from the HCSA. It is very important that you clearly identify how you would like your expenses paid.
Some things to remember about submitting your claim are:
If you are covered under the University of Manitoba Supplementary Health Plan:
- Send in your claim to Great-West Life for your regular Healthcare expenses.
- If your spouse has coverage, your expenses should be sent to your spouse's insurer for any additional payment.
- Your HCSA (GWL) for any unpaid portion of your claim.
If you have opted out of the University of Manitoba Supplementary Health Plan because you have coverage under your spouse's plan:
- Your expenses should be sent to the spouse's insurer.
- Your HCSA (GWL) for any unpaid potion of your claim.
For Your Spouse's claim:
- Send in your claim to your spouse's insurer.
- Send the claim to GWL for any additional payment under the Supplementary Healthcare Plan (if you have maintained your coverage).
- Your HCSA (GWL) for any unpaid portion of the claim.
For Dependent Children:
- Health claims are processed first through the plan of the parent whose birthday is first in the calendar year.
- Other parent's plan.
- Your HCSA (GWL) for any unpaid portion.
- The policy year is April 1 to March 31.
- Expenses to be paid from your Healthcare Spending Account must be received, processed, and paid by Great West Life no later than 90 days (June 30) following the end of the fiscal year. In order to allow adequate time for processing, please ensure your claim is submitted to GWL no later than June 15.
- If you do not spend the full allocation, you cannot carry forward any unused amount. If you do not use it, you lose it.
- Supplementary Health claims are to be submitted promptly and expenses should be claimed no later than the immediately following April 30 or 16 months from the date incurred.
- Hospital Benefits may be assigned to the hospital. For all other types of benefits, costs may be assigned to the service provider if they accept this form of payment. Otherwise, you must pay the provider of the service, and Great-West Life will pay any benefits due to you. Assignment of benefits do not apply to drug claims.
- Claim forms can be obtained from the Staff Benefits website, the Staff Benefits Office or P001 Pathology Building, Bannatyne Campus.
- If you have any questions about your claim please call Great-West Life, at 1-800-957-9777. Please have your employee number handy.
Submitting Dental Claims
(Blue Cross - Plan Number #67000-Full-Time benefits; #67025-Part-Time benefits)
Questions on Group Insurance Benefits
please e-mail the Staff Benefits Generalists
Employee surnames beginning with:
A to L phone: 204-474-8085
M to Z phone: 204-474-9771