This page is intended to answer any questions you may have on what information is asked for on the application form.

Please remember to fill out the form completely and send it to Learning & Organizational Development as soon as you have registered in the course. 


Degree-credit course (use the “Tuition Fee Remission” form)

  • a course that can be applied to an undergraduate or graduate degree at the UofM
  • a course that can be applied to a diploma
    • Faculties at the UofM who have diplomas include: Agriculture, Art, Dental Hygiene, Education, Engineering, Music.

Degree program (Use the “Tuition Fee Remission” form)

  • A graduate degree program (Master’s or Doctoral), where fees are paid annually instead of being paid on a course-by-course basis.

Non-degree course (Use the “Staff Development Request” form)

  • a course taken at the UofM that cannot be applied to a degree or diploma, such as:
    • a course taken in a certificate program offered by Extended Education
    • a spoken language course offered by Extended Education
  • a degree, diploma or certificate course taken at another University or College*
  • a job or career-related training session taken at a different institution*, such as:
    • software certification courses
    • specialized technical training
    • courses toward a professional certification

*If a course or degree is offered at the UofM, reimbursement will not be approved if a similar course or degree is taken somewhere else.


Degree-Credit Course: Tuition Fee Remission - Support Staff
A Degree-Credit Course is a course that can be applied to a degree at the University of Manitoba. You do not have to be working toward a degree and you can be taking the course through Distance and Online Education.
Non-degree-Credit Course: Staff Development Request - Support Staff
Any course that is not a Degree-Credit Course offered at the UofM falls into the Non-degree-Credit Course category, including degree-credit courses taken at other institutions.

Forms can be found at this link and can be filled out online or printed out and completed.

Part A

“Employee #” This is a 6-digit number and can be found on your pay stub. On a Staff ID Card, it is the 6 digits before the “-2”.
“Employee Group” This is a drop-down menu.
“Department” Please indicate the department or section name where you receive your mail, for example, “Dean’s Office, Arts” rather than just “Faculty of Arts”.

Tuition Fee Remission

“Course Number(s)” At the UofM, this is a 4-letter department code and a 4-digit course # (e.g., STAT 1000)
“Course Title(s)” When taking a 6-credit-hour course, Aurora requires you to register in “Part A” and “Part B” because of the way the system is structured. When filling out the Tuition Fee Remission form, just put the course name (e.g., “Twentieth Century Literature” rather than “Twentieth Century Literature, Part A” on one line and “Twentieth Century Literature, Part B” on a second line).
“Cost” On your fee statement, this will be indicated as “Tuition” (e.g., “Arts Tuition”). If possible, please indicate the cost for each course.
“Graduate Program” This line is filled out only if you are registered in a graduate program and are paying the annual graduate program fee. If you are registered in a graduate program, the start and end dates will be September 1 and August 31.
“Start Date” & “End Date” Please put the actual start and end dates rather than just the month and year. If you are taking more than 1 course that begin and end on the same dates (or within a few days of the same date), you may put them on the same form.

Staff Development Request 

“Course/Program/ Seminar/Workshop Title(s)” The name of the course is sufficient; a course number is not necessary. Because we cannot reimburse you for a course taken somewhere else if a similar course is offered here, if there is a course with a similar title that is offered at the University of Manitoba, it is your responsibility to provide information on how this course is different from the one offered here.
“Institution” If you are taking a course at the UofM, please indicate the unit offering the course (e.g., “UofM - Extended Education”, “UofM, CHERD”). If an out- side organization providing training on campus, indicate the name of the outside organization (e.g., “CGA Manitoba”, “St. John’s Ambulance”).
“Start Date” & “End Date” Please put the actual start and end dates rather than just the month and year. If you are taking more than 1 course that begin and end on the same dates (or within a few days of the same date), you may put them on the same form.

Please remember to sign and date the form before sending it to your supervisor!

Part B

“Dean/Director/ Designate”

  • If you are in an academic Faculty: your Dean
If you are in an academic School: your Director
  • If you are in an administrative Unit: your Director
  • “Designate” is someone your Dean or Director has approved to sign the Tuition Fee Remission or Staff Development Request form in their place.
Tuition Fee Remission

If you are registered in a graduate program, you cannot be reimbursed unless the Dean or Director confirms that this program is for a change in specialization and they must attach a memo to that effect.

Staff Development
  1. This section is signed by your immediate supervisor. It addresses how the course taken relates to your job or your career goals and indicates that arrangements have been made to make up any time loss if the class takes place during your regular work hours.
  2. This section indicates who is paying for the course: you or your department. If the department is paying for the course, the department will receive the reimbursement and the FOAP where it wishes the reimbursement to be credited must therefore be indicated.
  3. The signature of the Dean/Director or their designate indicates they are aware you are taking courses and, if applicable, confirms that the department has paid your registration fees.
Proof of Registration

You can send in your proof of registration either with the form or when you send in your proof of completion. This is indicated in Part B of the Staff Development Request or in Part C of the Tuition Fee Remission. Any of the following proofs of registration can be sent.

Staff Development

If you are paying for the course yourself, please send any one of the following:

  1. Confirmation of Registration letter (that shows the amount paid)

  2. Registration form

  3. Credit card or Debit card receipt (please black out the card #)

If the department or Faculty is paying for a non-degree-credit course, any of the following can be sent.

  1. Visa Order form

  2. FAST print-out

If the fees are paid in currency other than Canadian, please provide documentation that shows the actual amount paid in Canadian dollars.

Sending in the Form

When the form has been completed and signed, please send (or drop off) a hard copy of the original form with original signatures to:

Learning & Organizational Development
Office 46, Modular Facility B Lot

(If you are concerned about meeting the application deadline, it’s ok to fax a copy of the form to Learning & Organizational Development [474-7537] or scan and e-mail a copy to Linda Lassman [], but please sent the original as well.)

When the reimbursement is approved, you will be sent a blue photocopy of the form showing that approval. Please file this copy.

When the Course is Finished

Send the blue approved copy of your application along with a copy of your proof of successful completion (mark statement for the course, certificate, letter from the instructor confirming attendance) and a copy of your proof of payment (if not already sent) to Learning & Organizational Development.


When the proof of successful completion is received, the reimbursement will be processed.

Tuition Fee Remission The amount of tuition that was paid is confirmed by Student Records. Staff Development Request The reimbursement is based on the proof of payment provided.



Reimbursement is a taxable benefit. The information is sent to Payroll for processing and is paid on your pay cheque. The reimbursement will appear as “Tuition Reimbursement” in the left-hand column of your pay stub.

If you have any questions regarding any of this information, about your personal eligibility, about course eligibility or any thing else, please contact Linda Lassman at 474-9124 or linda.lassman