Revision Date: March 1989
Classification: Technician 4
Unit: C.U.P.E. 1482
Hay Point Range: 268-328
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Working under general supervision from a more senior technician, administrator or academic staff member the incumbent independently carries out the design, construction, maintenance, repair, servicing, fabrication, installation and demonstration of complex equipment, circuitry, models or laboratory apparatus. Incumbents are required to show initiative and sound judgement in organizing the work within their areas of responsibility.
Supervision, training or the orientation of more junior employees is frequently a requirement at this level.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organization, general supervision, and maintenance of student labs and workshops including demonstration of equipment and techniques, and modifying lab procedures.
- Prepares tests and notes for class work, marks assignments, researches texts for course work and provides practical instruction to students.
- Responsible for the operation, fabrication, calibration, servicing and/or maintenance of specialized research and teaching instruments and equipment including reading and interpreting circuitry schematics, fine precision machining, welding, woodworking, soldering, etc.
- May instruct authorized users in the operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Draws plans incorporating new design ideas, prepares statistical charts and graphs for publication or teaching, and mechanical shop drawings.
- Ensures that supplies and equipment are maintained at an adequate level.
- May be required to collect field samples and perform chemical analysis.
- Required to obtain knowledge of and comply with safety policies applicable to the workplace.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education and Experience
- Graduation from a recognized Community College Technology course and three years related experience.
- or -
- The appropriate journeyman (m/f) certification plus three years related experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Initiative and ability to work and to communicate effectively with others, which may include the training and direction of other technicians.
- Ability to prepare accurate reports and related material for circulation, teaching and/or publication.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.