Revision Date: February 1989
Classification: Technician 3
Unit: C.U.P.E. 1482
Hay Point Range: 222-267
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level provide skilled technical services or assistance. Positions at this level may design, construct, repair, maintain, service, fabricate, install and demonstrate moderately complex equipment, circuitry, models and apparatus used in research, in departmental operations or in teaching the practical application of engineering principles.
General supervision is provided by an academic member, postgraduate researcher or more senior technician. Although assistance may be necessary, incumbents at this level are expected to exercise a degree of initiative and judgement in the performance of work assignments. Technical training, guidance and orientation of employees at the same or lower levels and training or demonstrating to students may be requirements of the position.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fabricates, experimental models and apparatus for various tests and projects.
- Fabricates, maintains, calibrates and/or repairs a variety of moderately complex research and teaching instruments including reading and interpreting circuitry schematics, machining, welding, woodworking, soldering, etc.
- Assists with or prepares audio or visual aids for use in classrooms or laboratories, e.g. photographic slides, charts, graphs, scale models, etc.
- Prepares for teaching, circulation or publication: detailed drawings, blueprints, sketches, tables, graphs, etc. from elementary drawings.
- Collects field samples and performs routine chemical analysis.
- Maintains inventories ensuring that adequate stock is maintained.
- May instruct authorized users in the operation of specialized equipment.
- Required to obtain knowledge of and comply with safety policies applicable to the workplace.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education and Experience
- Graduation from a recognized Community College Technology course or the appropriate journeyman (m/f) certification.
- or -
- High school completion with job-related options with a minimum of 4 years related experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Initiative and ability to work and communicate effectively with other staff and students.
- Good manual dexterity required.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned