Revision Date: August 2010
Classification: Truck Driver
Hay Point Range: N/A
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
The Physical Plant Department is responsible for the entire physical plant of the University including the construction, renovations, provision of utility services, and the care and maintenance of all properties.
Under general supervision, the Truck Driver is responsible for the pickup, delivery and transportation of various materials, persons and commodities throughout the Fort Garry Campus, to and from the Bannatyne Campus, as well as throughout the City of Winnipeg.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operates a scheduled route or follows work orders, truck messenger requests and instructions relayed by two-way radio for the delivery and transportation of people and cargo throughout the Fort Garry Campus, to and from the Bannatyne Campus, as well as throughout Winnipeg.
- Operates vehicles such as cargo vans, cube-type delivery vans with hydraulic rail-lifts, passenger vehicles, or a specially equipped van for the transportation of persons with disabilities.
- Operates pallet jacks, fork lifts, and other moving equipment.
- Operates a two-way radio to communicate with and receive instructions from the Physical Plant dispatcher, supervisors and other Physical Plant staff.
- Responsible for truck cargo and the safe transportation of passengers.
- Responsible for maintaining delivery schedules as required.
- Records hours worked on daily time sheets and work orders.
- Performs minor maintenance on vehicle such as fluid checks, tire pressure, lights operation and daily visual inspections; reports deficiencies and repairs required to supervisor.
- Responsible for washing and clearing interior and exterior of vehicle as required.
- Performs the duties of similar or lower level classifications for which the incumbent is qualified when required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Education to an acceptable level
- Valid Class 4 Manitoba driver's license
- Completion of a professional driving course is desirable.
- Acceptable related experience.
- Good driving record as demonstrated by a positive driver’s abstract.
- A good knowledge of and experience operating the types of vehicles used for various truck routes.
- A good knowledge of and experience operating moving equipment (appliance movers, dollies, appliance straps, pallet jacks, fork lifts etc)
Skills and Abilities
- Good communication via a two-way radio.
- Must relate well with customers and others in the department.
- Effective communication skills in English required.
- Must have good organizational skills.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions in English.
- Understand and be willing to participate in all safety programs and initiatives designed to ensure the well-being of all staff.
- Ability to obtain a University of Manitoba issued Transportation of Dangerous Goods certificate.
- Must be capable of performing the duties as assigned.