Revision Date: January 2015
Classification: Plumber/Steamfitter - Certified
Hay Point Range: N/A
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
The Physical Plant Department is responsible for the entire physical plant of the University including construction,
renovations, provision of utility services and the care and maintenance of all properties. Under general supervision, the Plumber/Steamfitter is responsible for the installation, replacement and repair of complete hot and cold water systems, gas lines, steam lines, distilled water lines, kitchen and laboratory equipment and related service lines and controls, drainage, condensate return and sewer systems, fire hydrants, all man holes and tunnels and estimating costs of new installations and repairs.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Installs and repairs hot and cold water systems steam systems, gas lines, condensate systems and related equipment and controls.
• Installs, maintains or repairs hot water tanks, steam coils, chilled water coils and lines, valves, water temperature and pressure regulators, garburators and dishwashers, and back flow preventors.
• Maintains and repairs the entire drain and sewage systems and fire hydrants.
• Maintains and repairs bottle washers, gas furnaces, incinerators, autoclaves, steam cookers, acid waste and dilution tanks, as well as other equipment.
• Estimates costs of new installations and repairs.
• Maintains records of hours worked on work orders and daily time sheets.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Level of Formal Education
• Formal traning as a Plumber or Steamfitter is required.
• Must possess a valid Certificate of Qualification as a Plumber or Steamfitter and for gas installations (Class "B"Ticket), issued by the Manitoba Department of Labour.
• Preference will be given to candidates possessing both Plumbing and Steamfitting licenses.
• Must have current Cross Connection/Backflow Device testing license from the City of Winnipeg.
• Must hold a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver's License.
• At least five years of related experience after receiving journeyman's certificate is required.
• Must have experience testing backflow devices.
• Must have experience servicing high and low pressure steam systems.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to direct the work of helpers is required.
• Ability to estimate the costs of new installations and repairs is required.
• Ability to work cooperatively with other trades, contractors and service providers is required.
• Ability to review ongoing construction projects and communicate any concerns effectively is required.
• Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students and contractors is required.
• Analytical problem solving skills are required.
• Ability to work productively independently and cooperatively in groups is required.
• Must have the ability to work safely at all times.
• Must demonstrate honesty, integrity, sound work ethics, and positive attitude.
• Must possess multicultural awareness and workplace diversity sensitivity.
• Capable of performing the duties as assigned
• Must be able to work in confined areas, such as tunnels, crawlspaces, pits and shafts.
• Must be capable of working on scaffolds, swing stages and with aerial truck devices.
• Must be able to wear all forms of personal protective equipment including half face respirator.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.
"In accordance with the University's Health and Safety Policy, and in support of the Workplace Safety and
Health Act, Physical Plant is committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for all staff and
Physical Plant will instruct all employees to complete an Orientation Workshop, normally during the first day on the job, and the Health and Safety Orientation Module, normally during the probation period. Employees will also be instructed to complete various workshops, such as Asbestos Awareness, etc. during the first year of employment depending upon an individual's classification."