Revision Date: August 2014
Hay Point Range: N/A
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
The Physical Plant Department is responsible for the entire physical plant of the University, including construction, renovations, provision of utility services, and the care and maintenance of all properties.
Under general supervision, the Labourer is responsible for the general maintenance of grounds and sidewalks; moving and delivering materials; performing setups for events and operating assorted mobile and hand equipment.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cuts and trims lawns, plants and waters flowers, fertilizes plants and lawns, maintains shrub beds, removes litter and performs other related grounds maintenance duties.
- Assists with planting trees, shrubs, installing sod and performs other related landscaping duties.
- Operates hand mowers, string trimmers and snow blowers.
- Operates cargo vans, pick up trucks and utility vehicles for self-transportation and to move materials or equipment used to carry out daily duties.
- Clears snow and spreads traction grit at building entrances, sidewalks and platforms.
- Installs and repairs paving stones.
- Moves furniture, materials and equipment for University departments.
- Assembles and disassembles modular furniture, office furniture and desks.
- Assists with loading, unloading and delivering of materials.
- Assists with such tasks as moving materials and removing debris.
- Performs setups for special events such as examinations, convocation and similar University and student events.
- Assists with the coordination of Campus Beautification Day activities.
- Cleans and washes vehicles.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Grade 12 education or equivalent required.
- Must possess a valid Class V driver's license.
- 1 year of related experience required.
- Good driving record as demonstrated by a positive driver’s abstract.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Understand and be willing to participate in all safety programs and initiatives designed to ensure the well-being of all staff.
- Must be physically capable of performing the duties as assigned.
- Must be able to perform heavy and repetitive lifting, bending, stretching, etc.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Must be able to climb ladders.