Revision Date: August 2010
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
The Physical Plant Department is responsible for the entire physical plant of the University, including construction, renovations, provision of utility services, and the care and maintenance of all properties.Under general supervision, the Groundskeeper is responsible for the general maintenance of flowers, shrubs, turf and sidewalks; landscaping projects and conducting annual inspections of fire extinguishers and hoses.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cuts and trims lawns using hand mowers and string trimmers.
- Plants and waters flowers, fertilizes plants and lawns, maintains shrub beds, removes litter and performs other related grounds maintenance duties.
- Assists Arborist with pruning of shrubs.
- Applies pesticides.
- Evaluates planting beds, trees, lawns, specialty plantings and soil conditions to determine plant health, soil fertility and the general condition of the campus landscape. Reports findings to the Manager or Assistant Manager and makes a joint determination of the correct course of action for proper care.
- Coordinates Campus Beautification Day activities for zone. This includes staging and delivering of flowers to planters and beds, liaison with departmental representatives to plan and implement projects and collaboration with Service Coordinators for delivery of landscaping supplies materials to the zone.
- Proposes species for annual and perennial plantings during growing season and for Campus Beautification Day for Manager or Assistant Manager’s approval.
- Plants trees, shrubs, flowers; installs sod and performs other related landscaping duties.
- Assists Manager and Assistant Manager with the planning and implementation of landscaping projects and restorations.
- Operates snow blower.
- Acts as a zone leader to ensure the efficient completion of tasks and projects as directed by the supervisor.
- Operates skid steer loaders for landscaping projects.
- Operates turf maintenance equipment (seeders, fertilizer applicator, aerator, sprayer etc) propelled by agricultural tractors.
- Clears snow using snow blowers and shovels at building entrances, sidewalks, stairways and platforms.
- Conducts annual fire extinguisher and fire hose inspections.
- Performs the duties of similar or lower level classifications for which the incumbent is qualified when required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Holds a recognized certificate or diploma in practical horticulture or grounds keeping.
- Must be willing to take upgrading courses in horticulture or grounds keeping.
- Valid Class V driver's license.
- Holds a Province of Manitoba Pesticide Applicator’s licence or will obtain one.
- Minimum of four (4) years of grounds keeping experience.
- Knowledge of plants indigenous to, and grown in, climatic zones 2 and 3.
- Good driving record as demonstrated by a positive driver’s abstract.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Must understand and be willing to participate in all safety programs and initiatives designed to ensure the well-being of all staff members.
- Willingness to work varied schedules if required.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to operate skid steer loaders.
- Must be capable of performing the duties as assigned.